Quantcast
Knife to trim and breakdown large cuts of venison
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife to trim and breakdown large cuts of venison

Knife to trim and breakdown large cuts of venison

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Like most, I come from the world of stainless "high end" German knives. Purchased a Tojiro stainless clad Chinese style cleaver used a few years ago, along with a set of shapton glass/ceramic stones. Been using it almost exclusively, sharpening it with success, and loving it other than for paring and as the title suggests, breaking down meat. I do cut steaks out of whole loins, etc with the cleaver, though it could be a little longer for that task. I'm likely going to stay with the cleaver for veggies of all kinds, but I am tired of having to sharpen my 6" utility Henkel and 8" dexter filet knife every time I take them out, and even then not getting the edge I want.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on a path forward. I'm really liking the idea of the hiro AS. I need something to use for trimming silverskin and taking apart whole on the bone venison quarters. My wife wants a smallish gyuto or santoku. I'm leaning towards getting a hiro as gyuto that would serve both purposes. My worry is that it's too tall to work around curves etc like a filet knife will, and that it's too long and the wrong shape for cutting apart the different roasts from the quarter. As i type this, I'm wondering why I'm even considering it. I suppose I should just order one as "her" knife and try it out. Comments/suggestions?

Side note: does hiro still make a suji? Can't seem to find one listed anywhere.

I use my hankotsu for breaking down venison quarters,silver skin, etc. It works around bone and is stiff enough not to steer too bad. I either use a gyuto, suji or my scimitar for slicing steaks.

I use a Scimitar and a Petty whenever I am trimming New York strip primals at work, that is probably similar to what you need. I have never worked with venison in that capacity though. Also I recommend giving the wife several options and letting her choose.

I would get a 210 suji/petty...you might like the Hiromoto G3 version. A slimmer blade works better for silver skin, IME.
    -Matt

What Mike said.

To de-bone the leg quarters, I want more torsional strength than I get from a petty, suji or filet knife. For silverskin, thin and sharp with minimal flex works for me. Hankotsu does both well, petty can do both.

Regards,

Dave
    Dave
    Older and wider.

That is the reason I picked up a bunch of forgecraft boning and butcher knives. Cost very little and good old school carbon. Old school Dexters work good too.

welcome!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Welcome. I would be picking up the hankotsu, and then something long for slicing.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    welcome to the forums

Speaking a professional whole animal butcher who is also a knife enthusiast, and who has tried honkotus, honesukis, and sujis while breaking and trimming all types of animals, I always find myself coming back to forschners and wenger swibo knives. They both hold an edge decently well, and quickly get back to a very sharp edge from a few licks on a steel. I keep the Japanese stuff for home use. If you really want high carbon blades, the next best thing is to grab some nice vintage american made knives on e-bay. Those hold up very well.