Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knife to trim and breakdown large cuts of venison

i use a 210mm suji too on beigger cuts. slim enough to trim, long enough to portion.

Petty's and suji's don't have the meat to muscle through the big joints IMO. You want a stiff blade with a tough point that can really take the bone beating and still touch up easy enough to go back for more. I just happen to like the shape and feel of a hankotsu and the way it works on the pull as well as the push strokes around the bones.

There is no one knife to do it all for breaking down animals - it's really a team effort. Like cleaning 34" stripers last weekend - I used my little deba for the bull work and my hankotsu for skinning. I should have brought a small suji with me, but only have so many hands and figured these two would work and guess what - they did.

Can't speak for breaking down. But for silver skin, I really like my Nenohi 150mm petty. #2 would probably be my Miyabi petty.

-AJ

A Western boner and scimitar.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Just a little clarification: I understand and agree that breaking joints etc will require a much different knife than silver-skinning. I have tools for skinning and quartering, including cutting bones and breaking joints. A set of large tree loppers from Home Depot takes care of the bones nicely.

My need is for the silver skin and for separating the large muscle groups. Knife may scrap along a bone, but usually it's the tip cutting along a bone instead. Fairly delicate, if large, work. I'm really thinking a 150 petty is what I need, and I kind of need one anyway..

My need is for the silver skin and for separating the large muscle groups. Knife may scrap along a bone, but usually it's the tip cutting along a bone instead. Fairly delicate, if large, work. I'm really thinking a 150 petty is what I need, and I kind of need one anyway..
    a hankotsu gets my vote or a tojiro western boning (gokujo) knife

I would use a 150mm Fujiwara Teruyasu Nashiji petty to trim the silver skin and a hankotsu for the harder work. I use my old Armstrong Forge bullnose cimeter for the bigger stuff.