Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hiromoto AS

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    The AS in the Hiromoto isn't hardened in excess, Rc61-62, so it isn't too chippy once you got rid of the original edge. Takes and holds a crazy edge. Whatever the edge is, it will have a lot of bite - will have to do with the tungsten carbides, I guess. Best results if you start sharpening with a relatively coarse stone. Needs a careful deburring.
    The Swedish Carbon is a different animal. Very finely grained, very, very easy sharpening, takes a very keen edge but has only average edge retention. Good candidate for a single microbevel ā la Jon Broida.
    Comes OOTB with a nicely polished but overly convexed edge. A good reason to shop with Korin and ask for the 'initial sharpening' option.
    I have gyutos in white #2 and blue #2.. Would i be wrong in taking what you say as just taking these two steels and enhancing their strong points a fair bit more? I enjoy each one in their respectful ways, but they are quite different to work with.

I can't compare to blades I don't know. Speaking in general terms about steel types doesn't make so much sense IMHO, as the HT is mostly a decisive factor.

well the white is a cheap tojiro itk with a less than perfect HT i can assume. Blue is a Watanabe. I didnt know HT was much more of a factor than setting hardness, much to learn ill admit.. I feel as if this has gotten too far off the original topic.

Quote Originally Posted by jared08 View Post
    I feel as if this has gotten too far off the original topic.
    It wouldn't be the first time...

Quote Originally Posted by jared08 View Post
    I didnt know HT was much more of a factor than setting hardness
    HT will determine hardness, strength, toughness, ductility, grain size, carbide size and distribution...
    These properties have practical consequences for e.g. ease of sharpening, potential refinement, brittleness, edge retention, bite.

Well I broke down and bought a 240 Gyuto. Going to thin it, put a nice handle on it and use the heck out of it!