Quantcast
Tanaka 210 gyuto thinned and etched
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanaka 210 gyuto thinned and etched

Tanaka 210 gyuto thinned and etched

After reading the thread recently about these, ordered one. First impression-pretty poor fit and finish, dull as can be. But I expected this. I didn't expect how light the knife was going to be. Anyway, I removed and refit the handle, thinned, sharpened sanded a bit and did a quick etch. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  3.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  4.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  4.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  12.7 KB

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Which steel is this one? Did you get it from metalmaster?
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Haha: totally spaced! It's the stainless from metal master!

So I bought the 240, which looks really similar to the profile on your 210. panda got the 270, which has a much better profile, it's not quite so tall at the heel. It's a great value no matter what!
    Great steel, just needs a little TLC OOTB!
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Ginsanko or vg-10?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Ginsanko baby!
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Yes ginsanko with a funky "pear like" cladding. Totally agree, great value, definitely needs a bit of work. Heel is a bit high, but I like the overall profile. Gets super sharp. Used 400, 1000, red aoto progression on secondary and primary bevels. Asymmetric right sided grind. Look forward to getting to know this one better! Can't overemphasize how light this thinkg is, and its no laser.

is that the bolsterless western or wa handle? im on the verge of picking up the western version. im curious about the handle quality either way.

I just notice most blue#2 Tanaka knives made by Shigeki Tanaka & all Ginsan(Silver 3) Tanaka knives are made by Hideyuki Tanaka & kazuki tanaka made some vg-10+blue#2. they all family members of Tanaka cutlery. anybody notice any different profile/grind between blue#2 and Ginsan gyuto??
    Erik, Ginsan(Silver 3) is stainless & it won't reactive food. i'm curious why you want to etch the blade?? just for cool looking??
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Yes, just for aesthetics. I think the contrast is cool looking. Just playing around. Wa handled, standard ho with horn d shape.