Quantcast
Hiromoto AS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiromoto AS

Hiromoto AS

Seem to have read somewhere that the AS knives might end.Just wanted to add my I was one of those guys that prefer mono steel carbons over San Mai.About 7 yrs. ago my Masamoto carbon petty walked.Got the 150 Hiro petty,changed my tune,what a great workhorse knife.Don't know how many shrimp butterfly thru the shell wt that blade.

Was making shrimp for dinner few people,using a VG-10 damascus,switched over to the Hiro petty,what a difference,up to speed wt. that good core steel.Noticed these knives are running out.Thinking about picking up a 240,thin it & put on a curly Koa handle.

I hope these aren't going to be to be discontinued, I never got around to buying one and I really should't be buying any more knives right now.

Got the suji as with Dave performance package. I love it and couldn't see myself letting go. Get one while you can

this was email I got from Koki when I asked about the AS sujis last week or so....

Thank you very much for your new inquiry and interest.

We apologize for the availability of Hiromoto Aogami Super TJ-90AS Sujihiki 270mm.

Maker Hiromoto used to make Sujihiki knives in Aogami Super Series. But they already discontinued the Sujihiki items and Sujihiki items got completely sold out and out of stock before.

Mr. Nagao (President of Hiromoto company) is 75 years old. He is going to get retired in near future. Maker Hiromoto is already discontinuing some models (such as TJ-50AS Petty 120mm, TJ-40AS Santoku160mm. Once current inventory of TJ-50AS will be out of stock, this item will be completely discontinued. TJ-40AS Santoku 160mm already got completely out of stock.

We apologize again for the availability and situation of Hiromoto Aogami Super Sujihiki knives.

Quote Originally Posted by turbochef422 View Post
    Got the suji as with Dave performance package. I love it and couldn't see myself letting go. Get one while you can
    I know geez, I can't afford it either right now but I had to pull the trigger on a 240 gyuto and a 150 petty. Put it on the credit card just to be safe. I'd rather get em now while I can and rehandle em as opposed to hoping some used ones come down the pipe later on. Oh well better safe than sorry I suppose.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

funny, thought the same also and got a 240. Amazing how I can rationalize this stuff. And I hear the 240 will be around for a while longer production-wise, but still didn't want to take a chance. Got it in the mail last Saturday. Not too shabby!

I really shouldn't have, but I just ordered a 270 gyuto and 120 petty.

Do these knives need to be thinned or is it personal preference?

I feel the gyuto is a much better performer thinned. I can't speak for the unthinned suji as I've only used it thinned and it's a fantastic slicer. As for the petty I've only used it unthinned and thought it was pretty great as it were.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Mmhh, just sold my petty, maybe I shouldn't have... I still think they are an excellent value.

Stefan