Quantcast
Hiromoto AS - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hiromoto AS

Quote Originally Posted by rdmalak View Post
    Do these knives need to be thinned or is it personal preference?
    They are excellent blades out of box. However, the thickening behind the edge might be abrupt. The clad's thickness may vary. It's important to thin behind the edge at every sharpening session, and remove a little of the clad on both sides.

From Koki:

Dear Rick T.

Thank you very much for shopping with us and your message.

Mr. Nagao (President of Hiromoto company) is 75 years old. He has great experience of knife making, and he is especially concentrating for making the sharp and practical knives.

We really regret Mr. Nagao does not have son or young craftsmen who can continue making fine knives and continue his knife making business.
    Therefore recently Mr. Nagao is discontinuing several items from the regular selections. (For example, Hiromoto Aogami Super Sujihiki, Wa Gyuto, Wa Sujihiki, Wa Santoku 160mm, Petty 120mm (TJ-50AS will be discontinued when this item will be out of stock), and reducing his business now. Mr.
    Nagao loves the knife making, therefore he would like to continue making the knives as much as he can. But because of his ages, he also needs to prepare for the retirements too. (He can not be sure how many years he can continue working and making the knives)

We hope your Hiromoto Special Aogami Super knives will be your great cooking partner, you will enjoy your cooking time more in future.

Thank you very much again for shopping with us and your confirmation.

Have a great cooking time !!

Best Regards

Koki Iwahara
    JapanseChefsKnife.Com
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    From Koki:

Dear Rick T.

Thank you very much for shopping with us and your message.

Mr. Nagao (President of Hiromoto company) is 75 years old. He has great experience of knife making, and he is especially concentrating for making the sharp and practical knives.

We really regret Mr. Nagao does not have son or young craftsmen who can continue making fine knives and continue his knife making business.
    Therefore recently Mr. Nagao is discontinuing several items from the regular selections. (For example, Hiromoto Aogami Super Sujihiki, Wa Gyuto, Wa Sujihiki, Wa Santoku 160mm, Petty 120mm (TJ-50AS will be discontinued when this item will be out of stock), and reducing his business now. Mr.
    Nagao loves the knife making, therefore he would like to continue making the knives as much as he can. But because of his ages, he also needs to prepare for the retirements too. (He can not be sure how many years he can continue working and making the knives)

We hope your Hiromoto Special Aogami Super knives will be your great cooking partner, you will enjoy your cooking time more in future.

Thank you very much again for shopping with us and your confirmation.

Have a great cooking time !!

Best Regards

Koki Iwahara
    JapanseChefsKnife.Com
    Hands up..

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Mmhh, just sold my petty, maybe I shouldn't have... I still think they are an excellent value.

Stefan
    I just ordered the 240,Steph did the box of wood come back yet fr. being stabilized?

I know geez, I can't afford it either right now but I had to pull the trigger on a 240 gyuto and a 150 petty. Put it on the credit card just to be safe. I'd rather get em now while I can and rehandle em as opposed to hoping some used ones come down the pipe later on. Oh well better safe than sorry I suppose.
    Go for it.I think you will like the 150 petty,esp. useful in tight spaces,like on the line,a compact serious cutter

From Koki:

Therefore recently Mr. Nagao is discontinuing several items from the regular selections. (For example, Hiromoto Aogami Super Sujihiki, Wa Gyuto, Wa Sujihiki, Wa Santoku 160mm, Petty 120mm (TJ-50AS will be discontinued when this item will be out of stock), and reducing his business now.
    Koki Iwahara
    JapanseChefsKnife.Com

Is there a Wa Gyuto available from Hiromoto? Where from?

Hiromoto Wa handle gyutos and sujis have been discontinued for sometime now i believe...if youre lucky you might find some back stock somewhere...i know JCK had a few remaining sujis not too long ago...

Crap, I was planing to get a 270 Suji and having it re-handled & etched as soon as my 240 Guyto is back from The Martell Knife Spa. I see these as being hot and pricey items on BST soon. Anyone have any idea where to find one? Seems JCK is out, even that other place is out.

Anybody do a Wa-conversion on a 240 gyuto? Opinions?

Conversion would be hard on these. I did a half conversion and it damned near wore my band saw blade out not to mention it ate a brand new file for a snack.

I love my Hiro AS 270 Gyuto - I want the blade to look like Dave's . . . . the cutting edge is bluing nicely, but needs to get that Mandelbrot/coastline look.

+ Reply to Thread