Quantcast
Hiromoto AS - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hiromoto AS

Mike, how do you like the 270? Heftier all around than most 240s, or just a bit longer? 270s can often go either way, it seems.

Can someone tell me what it is about these that make them so special?

The profile, the alloy, a combination or what?

Quote Originally Posted by rdm_magic View Post
    Can someone tell me what it is about these that make them so special?

The profile, the alloy, a combination or what?
    very good value for Aogami Super knife, nice F/F! killing look & nice cutting performance with Dave's re-handle+"performance package"
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Whats it like without the special treatment from Dave?

Quote Originally Posted by mkmk View Post
    Mike, how do you like the 270? Heftier all around than most 240s, or just a bit longer? 270s can often go either way, it seems.
    I have the board room for a 270 otherwise I'd still be using 240's. Not really heftier as we're only talking a smidge over an inch in length. There is noticeable difference in balance, stroke, etc, but weight is not an issue. I find the profile on 270 knives sleeker than 240 knives - just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    very good value for Aogami Super knife, nice F/F! killing look & nice cutting performance with Dave's re-handle+"performance package"
    got the 190mm santoku for christmas from my sister... to be honest, i had to buy it from her for the value of EUR 0,01 as giving and taking knives as presents brings bad luck. superstition maybe, but hey, i found this knife a great value for EUR 0,01!

as far as F&F is concerned, i think i will have to object, your honor. please do not get me wrong, i like the knife itself. but still it has a) this very obvious mass production aura, and b) F&F on the factory handle simply aren't very nice. i have seen worse, but the transition from wooden handle to metal bolster/tang isn't smooth on my knife. when i compare it to the other knives i have had and still have, this is probably the most disappointing handle i have seen (and it is very small). but as i always try to see the good side in things: this makes it the perfect excuse for having it rehandled!!!

received my 240mm dragon on tuesday, and boy, speaking of nice F&F, i have to mention this monster!!!

I've to most respectfully disagree about that 'mass production aura'. May be I'm lacking the necessary kind of sensitivity, but the Hiromotos have nothing to do with mass production. Rather small batches, some differences between the batches, good geometry, fair edges OOTB, not exactly signs of any 'mass production'.
    I agree about the handle problem: the wood is far less stabilized than one would like, and too small for some. If you go just for performance and don't care too much about F&F, though, they are excellent value.
    The Misono tend to have very beautiful handles, but until recently there was a huge price gap between both. No fair comparison.
    Be happy with both of them, so am I.

how does the AS in the hiromoto compare to the swedish carbon in a dragon?

Quote Originally Posted by jared08 View Post
    The AS in the Hiromoto isn't hardened in excess, Rc61-62, so it isn't too chippy once you got rid of the original edge. Takes and holds a crazy edge. Whatever the edge is, it will have a lot of bite - will have to do with the tungsten carbides, I guess. Best results if you start sharpening with a relatively coarse stone. Needs a careful deburring.
    The Swedish Carbon is a different animal. Very finely grained, very, very easy sharpening, takes a very keen edge but has only average edge retention. Good candidate for a single microbevel ā la Jon Broida.
    Comes OOTB with a nicely polished but overly convexed edge. A good reason to shop with Korin and ask for the 'initial sharpening' option.

Quote Originally Posted by jared08 View Post
    Hiromoto is san-mai construction blade, feel more stiff & solid, Aogami Super steel can take crazy keen edge with superior edge retention!! AS steel feel more aggressive toothy edge than swedish carbon steel. Misono feels light, has some flex highly polished convexed edge & sharpen more easily than Hiromoto AS....in general speaking, Aogami Super is higher grade & more expensive steel than swedish steel in Japan.
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

+ Reply to Thread