Quantcast
FS: Hiromoto G3 120 Petty and Masamoto HC 240 Gyuto w/ Redwood Burl handle

Thread: FS: Hiromoto G3 120 Petty and Masamoto HC 240 Gyuto w/ Redwood Burl handle

FS: Hiromoto G3 120 Petty and Masamoto HC 240 Gyuto w/ Redwood Burl handle

Things have come up and I need to sell a couple knives.

First is a Hiromoto Ginsanko steel 120mm petty.

Has some sharpening/thinning scratches.
    Asking $50

Second is a Masamoto HC 240mm Gyuto.

I personally replaced the handle with some nice old Redwood Burl (natural dried wood, unstabilized) and nickel silver corby bolts. Please consider this an amateur rehandle. Needless to say, I am not Adam Marr or Dave Martell. There is a slight ridge where the wood meets the bolster on the underside. It's not sharp or anything, I just caught it with my sander when I was roughing it out. The handle is attached with epoxy in addition to the corby bolts, and I didn't feel like starting over (as I didn't intend to ever have to sell it). It's not uncomfortable and I don't notice it with my normal grip, but I just want full disclosure. Handle was finished in a few coats of tung oil, topped with mineral oil/beeswax which I like to reapply every few months.

Otherwise I think it looks pretty good if you expect to use it and not have it as a drawer queen. The rehandle was performed about 6-7 months ago, and has not warped/moved in case you had any concerns about stability. I would be happy to offer a full refund on this knife for up to 1 week after you have received it, so that you can check it out and give it a spin, and see if anything about it bothers you. I would ask that you ship it back to me at your own expense, however.
    Asking $220

Here is an image album of the knives. http://imgur.com/a/5v5IC#0 Sorry I only have my cellphone camera so the quality isn't amazing.

All prices include PayPal fees and insured shipping within the USA.

If anyone is into audio/headphones: I'm also selling some Hifiman HE-300s.

Price drop:

Hiromoto $45

Masamoto $200

Would also consider certain inexpensive 240mm gyutos as partial trade. Something like a Tanaka blue steel or VG10. Cheap/crappy handles welcome.

Hiromoto sold

Wanted to mention that the Masamoto is lighter now after the rehandle. It comes it at 224g on my kitchen scale. I don't know the original weight and can't find one right now listed from any retailers, but the weight bias definitely feels more towards the blade than it did before.

Pics of masamoto?

Quote Originally Posted by 420layersofdank View Post
    Pics of masamoto?
    Link is in the first post.

http://imgur.com/a/5v5IC#0

Duh!! Haha i was doing a quick kkf check during a busy dinner service and didnt see the link. Beautiful job on the rehandle!

Final price drop on the Masamoto: $180

No bites? Willing to entertain offers if my asking price is still too high.