• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: Hiromoto G3 120 Petty and Masamoto HC 240 Gyuto w/ Redwood Burl handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonD

Reaction score
Things have come up and I need to sell a couple knives.

First is a Hiromoto Ginsanko steel 120mm petty.

Has some sharpening/thinning scratches.
Asking $50

Second is a Masamoto HC 240mm Gyuto.

I personally replaced the handle with some nice old Redwood Burl (natural dried wood, unstabilized) and nickel silver corby bolts. Please consider this an amateur rehandle. Needless to say, I am not Adam Marr or Dave Martell. There is a slight ridge where the wood meets the bolster on the underside. It's not sharp or anything, I just caught it with my sander when I was roughing it out. The handle is attached with epoxy in addition to the corby bolts, and I didn't feel like starting over (as I didn't intend to ever have to sell it). It's not uncomfortable and I don't notice it with my normal grip, but I just want full disclosure. Handle was finished in a few coats of tung oil, topped with mineral oil/beeswax which I like to reapply every few months.

Otherwise I think it looks pretty good if you expect to use it and not have it as a drawer queen. The rehandle was performed about 6-7 months ago, and has not warped/moved in case you had any concerns about stability. I would be happy to offer a full refund on this knife for up to 1 week after you have received it, so that you can check it out and give it a spin, and see if anything about it bothers you. I would ask that you ship it back to me at your own expense, however.
Asking $220

Here is an image album of the knives. http://imgur.com/a/5v5IC#0 Sorry I only have my cellphone camera so the quality isn't amazing.

All prices include PayPal fees and insured shipping within the USA.

If anyone is into audio/headphones: I'm also selling some Hifiman HE-300s.

Price drop:

Hiromoto $45

Masamoto $200

Would also consider certain inexpensive 240mm gyutos as partial trade. Something like a Tanaka blue steel or VG10. Cheap/crappy handles welcome.

Wanted to mention that the Masamoto is lighter now after the rehandle. It comes it at 224g on my kitchen scale. I don't know the original weight and can't find one right now listed from any retailers, but the weight bias definitely feels more towards the blade than it did before.

Duh!! Haha i was doing a quick kkf check during a busy dinner service and didnt see the link. Beautiful job on the rehandle!

No bites? Willing to entertain offers if my asking price is still too high.

Back