Magetic knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score

Today I was told that magnetic knife holders/strips will weaken the strength of your steel and when it finally breaks after a few years... You can do this.

I'm trying to find out more about this, but has this ever happened to you?

I don't actually use mag strips, I keep my knives in my knife bags, safely set aside out of harms way.

:shocked:
Oh dear! Thats scarry! Is it the magnatism that weakens the steel or the side-loading stress that occurs with putting the knife on and off the strip?

Meh... Going to need a lot more evidence to back this one up. A single anecdotal instance is just not enough. That blade could have broken from SO many other possible scenarios other than being weakened by the mag strip.

In a post sometime ago Son said that carbon blades have a tendency to go magnetic. I also noticed the knife I had bought from him was slightly magnetic.

I don't think this is possible. All surface grinders have magnetic chucks. If magnets weakened steel there would be a lot of broken tooling in the world.

Hoss

LMAO! Sure it can. Wrap an inductive coil around your knife and crank the current up! But a magnetic holder? BS. Utter BS. Yes, all carbon steels subjected to magnets can themselves become magnetic. Heck you can even magnetize steel with a sharp whack of a hammer. Reflects nothing on the quality of the steel.

-AJ

So THAT is why my hard drive crashed!

We're trying to figure out why this snapped in half. The customer told us it was because he used a magnetic holder. I have no idea. I was wondering if anyone had any information about this, but I guess its a urban myth. Maybe he just didn't want to tell us he did something to it. lol

StraightDope.com member Bryan Ekers said:
A magnetized knife will draw the iron out of meat cuttings and thus doom you and your family to a life of anemia.

Just kidding
LMAO

Good link gic

I could never get those things to work that well. (on screwdrivers) but I heard they have powered ones that work better. AC electromagnet boxes.

We're trying to figure out why this snapped in half. The customer told us it was because he used a magnetic holder. I have no idea. I was wondering if anyone had any information about this, but I guess its a urban myth. Maybe he just didn't want to tell us he did something to it. lol

perhaps it was a crappy magnetic holder, and the knife fell off and broke when it hit the floor.

Back