• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: DMT D8E & D8EE diamond plates

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefdog

Reaction score
For sale are two 8"x3" DMT diasharp diamond plates. First one is "Extra Fine" (9 micron) and the other is "Extra Extra Fine" (3 micron). These are barely a month old, and have been used less than 10 times. They work well and have no defects, I just decided that I'm going to stick to wetstones.

$110 for both stones, including Paypal fees and shipping (conus).

I haven't taken any pics, but will be happy to provide them if requested.

Thanks for looking.

Funds sent. Thanks again Chefdog. ;)
Thank you!
Curious as to your impressions of the DMT fine stones.
Well, I very much like the edge that I got from the extra-extra fine (3 micron). It was very aggressive, yet shaves very cleany, which is something I've not experienced so far from wetstones. The extra fine (9 micron) wasn't as fast as I was expecting, although it assumed the place of a very aggresive 1K stone, which has a much larger abrasive, so I don't think it was quite fair.
All in all they're clean and efficient, dont need flattening, and leave a very good edge, but they do leave more noticeable scratching than wetstones. And as much as I thought I was so pragmatic, they don't have that little bit of "zen"-like satisfaction that wetstones offer me. I think if I was still running a restaurant, I would make the switch to diamonds for good, but with a little time on my hands ill keep experimenting with different stones for the fun of it.

Thanks for the feedback, CD. I was curious about those very things. On the face of it, I like the idea of a no maintenance stone, but there's something about them which is decidedly sterile and inorganic. Plus, I've noted that the DMT plates I own leave harsh scratches which makes me loath to use them except when absolutely needed. I kind of expect that from a coarse stone, but was curious about the finer stones. Do you think one of the finer DMT stones would be a good, "line touch up stone"?

Miles,
The scratch pattern with the D8EE is more noticeable than a comparable wetstone, but certainly not a glaring issue. For a working knife, it doesn't really matter. For a fancy knife, you'd want to polish it out a little. As far as using the dmt plate for touch ups at work? YES! The extra extra fine really impressed with the cutting power for such a fine abrasive (I guess that the nature of the diamonds) and could raise a burr very quickly or be used as a strop to put some quick bite into your edge.
It also seemed to me that it was easier to dissolve and remove the burr on the diamonds than it is on my wetstones.

Thanks for the feedback, CD. I was curious about those very things. On the face of it, I like the idea of a no maintenance stone, but there's something about them which is decidedly sterile and inorganic. Plus, I've noted that the DMT plates I own leave harsh scratches which makes me loath to use them except when absolutely needed. I kind of expect that from a coarse stone, but was curious about the finer stones. Do you think one of the finer DMT stones would be a good, "line touch up stone"?

Sounds like a DMT EE might be a good addition to the kit. I carry a lot of extra weight right now by carrying around an HA base with hones and diamond pastes. I've often wanted a simple single hone or stone that could take the place of all of that and lighten my load. It would be great to be able to remove all the extra stuff and carry one item which will keep things sharp between sessions. This is food for thought. Thanks!

Back