Quantcast
first DIY wa-handle - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first DIY wa-handle

those look good =D

I like the jig saw blades that cut on the down stroke. I can chuck it into my drill press and broach the slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9 View Post
    I like the jig saw blades that cut on the down stroke. I can chuck it into my drill press and broach the slot.
    Interesting, I'll have to get one to try. Guessing it works well? I'd have thought it would flex the blade too much

Looks great! I use a rotary tool with a cutting bit for opening the tang slot and then a rasp or file for the final adjustment. Many ways to get to the same result, I guess. Nice trick with the wax paper, Mike. I have gone back to mostly using West System epoxy for gluing and I use up my Brownell Acraglass for filling because it is thinner and flows better. A syringe works well to squirt it into the handle, and you can re-use it because epoxy doesn't stick to it.

Stefan

Stefan, do you wait until the epoxy dries and then push it back up the syringe? Dang it in that case, i threw mine out....

Quote Originally Posted by RobinW View Post
    Stefan, do you wait until the epoxy dries and then push it back up the syringe? Dang it in that case, i threw mine out....
    Yep, once it's hardened you can just push it out. Not sure if it works with all syringes, I picked up a few at West Systems that were meant for that.

Stefan

Thanks! I'll look into that

thanks very much for sharing guys. Looks like pre-drill a bigger hole for the main handle and precisely cutting the ferrule using jigsaw blade or dremel then filling with epoxy would be the way to go!

gotta give this another try!

nice job man! I just started trying to do practice handles Monday afternoon (between mowing the lawn and the pegwife coming home from work and saying "it's time"). Tricky, as I knew it would be, and I'm nowhere close to moving on to the good woods yet. So, excellent work!