Knife Recommendation: Gyuto for a line cook

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pig-pen

Reaction score
What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
A wa gyuto with an edge length between 210mm and 230mm, the normal 200mm edges on "210mm" wa gyutos won't quite cut it:wink:. I don't want to carry more than one gyuto so it must be a "workhorse." Carbon or stainless is fine. I use my gyuto mostly for veg prep, bread knife takes care of squash, melons, etc.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
I currently use a Richmond Ultimatum Stainless, it's really thick behind the edge and is very "wedgie," and just barely for my taste, I do a lot of very detailed prep.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics-The Ultimatum in is really nice looking, I like the no nonsense aesthetic and the KS profile is very elegant
Edge Quality/Retention-Sharpens well, holds it well enough, I sharpen once a week
Ease of Use-That tiny bit of extra length makes a difference when making a fine brunoise of shallot, garlic, or fava beans (just as awful a job as it sounds)

Comfort-Really comfortable, eased choil and spine have spoiled me

What grip do you use?
Pinch grip mostly, sometimes modified based on the job

What kind of cutting motion do you use?
French technique

Where do you store them?
Saya in my knife roll

Have you ever oiled a handle?
Every time I sharpen

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
Poly at work

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
Honing rod

What is your budget?
$400>

What do you cook and how often?
Detail oriented fine dining. Tournant with a heavy emphasis on Garde Manger

Thank you very much for your time and consideration. I am curious whether a laser is something I should look at, I've never used one. I'm currently considering the Mizuno Blue #2, Gengetsu semi stainless, Gesshin Hide Blue #2, Konosuke Fujiyama (which steel?), or the usual laser suspects.

Welcome to the forum! I think all that you listed will provide noticeable benefits. Perhaps the Gengetsu might be an especially good candidate as it retains the stainless ease of maintenance but eliminates the wedging issue with better geometry.

thinning your ultimatum could help with your wedging problem

If you like the ultimatum's 'ks' profile, perhaps a Sakai yusuke ks clone could be a good fit.

besides, you won't have to buy another knife if you're strapped for cash if you just thin your existing one. if you know how to do it. =D

Good point on the thinning. I just wasn't sure which Ultimatum it was we were talking about here.

Dave Martell thins Ultimatums, you might want to talk to him. It might be worth it.

Can the Ultimatum(19C27) be made to match the KS's geometry? I've never held one but I assume it's really nice based on all the positive reviews. I expected a semi-stainless KS when I ordered the knife, but it couldn't be the same. Also, is a laser something that I could consider based on my use of the knife? I've read a lot about the benefits and drawbacks but I lack the first hand experience to judge whether or not it would be suitable for my needs.

Can the Ultimatum(19C27) be made to match the KS's geometry? I've never held one but I assume it's really nice based on all the positive reviews. I expected a semi-stainless KS when I ordered the knife, but it couldn't be the same. Also, is a laser something that I could consider based on my use of the knife? I've read a lot about the benefits and drawbacks but I lack the first hand experience to judge whether or not it would be suitable for my needs.

lasers hold up perfectly fine in a pro environment. its a non-issue IMO

Back