FS - 1 piece Bubinga Cutting Board

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I just finished up making this Bubinga cutting board.
I mentioned to my Boss that I wanted to offer it for sale here.
He really likes it and wants to put it for sale in our gallery.
So we came to a compromise.
3 days and if it has not sold it goes into the gallery this weekend.
If you want to get the board, just make a post here saying "I'll Take It".

Cost is $400 to include US Shipping. International shipping will be whatever actual cost is to your address. Could be spendy because the board weighs almost 20 pounds.

Dimensions are just under 25 inches long, 12 inches wide and 2 inches thick.
The wood I used is some very nice instrument grade figured Bubinga.
Bubinga is a hard and durable wood from Africa.
I got this wood from a maker of humidors who recently passed away.
It was marked with chalk that it was purchased in 1984.

The way I finished the cutting board is food safe.
Several coats of mineral oil followed by several more coats of Butcher Block Conditioner which is a blend of mineral oil and bees wax.

There are no feet so you can use both sides of the board.
I beveled the edges at a 45 degree angle so it is easier to pick up.
It is kind of heavy at 18 pounds in weight.

Pardon the poor photography. 1st photo is outdoors with no flash. Others are indoors with flash.
The figure has a nice metallic flash and seems to move around like flames as you walk past.

cb012_zps17a4134a.jpg

Side a
cb014_zps1fa9b99b.jpg

Side b
cb015_zpsae925c62.jpg

who would cut on that? way to beautiful. :clown:

If it wasn't 3" too long for my kitchen counter top... I'll pull the trigger on it!!

I seem to have gotten the board bug.
After this one goes away I have a few others in the works.

Next one will be quarter sawn curly Mahogany.
Still unusual looking but not as expensive.

If it ends up that there is a market for the more expensive boards, I have some 5A flamed maple stashed.

If it ends up that there is a market for the more expensive boards, I have some 5A flamed maple stashed.

Maybe some smaller boards for charcuterie or cheese would be nice. Nice wood would be great for presentation of those things, and they wouldn't get cut up as much by cheese knives.

I have about 10-12 board feet of bubinga in my basement that has been there for at least 15 years. The biggest problem is that it is 5/4 and 1 inch thick, so it is really too thin for a cutting board, but I think I may start making a cheese board or two from it. :D

I have about 10-12 board feet of bubinga in my basement that has been there for at least 15 years. The biggest problem is that it is 5/4 and 1 inch thick, so it is really too thin for a cutting board, but I think I may start making a cheese board or two from it. :D

Maybe too thin for a workhorse cutting board, but for serving bread and or cheeses and stuff, a much more manageable weight and thickness. I'm away looking for nice serving boards.

The Bubinga board has been placed in our gallery.
I am still going to make some single piece boards but I think I will do some smaller pieces for cheese and ????
I will try to do some less expensive pieces. But still use some fancy woods.
Any suggestions on sizes or other details are welcome.

Been sitting here trying to think of a rationale for purchasing it other than I want it. That is a beautiful board...

Something smaller like maybe 8 x 10 or so would be nice for a small cheese tray.

Maybe around 10 x 14 for manageable serving size or a little smaller.

Back