Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Misono advice please

Where those marks are is where the numbers are on the gyuto. Mine says 007 I think so its weird that those are there in place. I've never held their suji so I don't know if they normally have numbers or not.

yours is a lot better finish than the misono swedish hankotsu i got. lol. specially where the welding marks on the bolster is at.

That wouldn't bother me a bit if I otherwise liked the knife.

I've examined my Swedish gyuto to compare with Robert's sujihiki and found exactly the same, a little less pronounced though - not speaking of the bolster marks, of course. The blade very slightly inclined upwards . The choil far from perpendicular to the spine, the bolster parallel nor perpendicular to anything. The spine curved. The handle's upper side may seem straight but is concave. The blade can lay edge up on table, touches it at the butt of the handle, the bolster and at some 4cm from the tip.
    I've compared to my boring Fujiwara sujihiki: there, spine and handle are flat and in line. Bolster and choil parallel - not perpendicular to the spine, though.
    My conclusion so far: is part of the design. Quite subtle details most of them I never noticed before.

I have a couple different knives from the Misono Swedish line. I don't see anything wrong with the knife. It appears very normal to me. The spine on my suji curves slightly. The Swedish line all have numbers stamped on the bolster. Each model gets a different number. There's nothing wrong with it, but if you aren't happy, send it back and get another one but be prepared for something similar.

If it bothers you send it makes a brilliant Wa-conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    I don't think that's too unusual, although maybe a bit more pronounced than is typical. Koki will undoubtedly swap it for you and probably hand pick a new one that is the best he has. He did something similar for me a while back, and shipped the new knife to me before he had even recieved the one I sent back.

I say go ahead and ask him to check out the others in stock, and if there's one that's better, ship it to you. Then you won't always think about it when you go to slice something and will be able to fully enjoy your birthday knife.
    I wouldn't be bothered by it but I also know that there are other things that bother me that don't bother other people (does that make sense?). If Koki is willing to exchange it you should do it, otherwise it will irritate you every time you see it (kinda like a bad tattoo). And don't feel bad about doing it, it's just part of the back and forth that has to happen when you're buying sight unseen. I'm sure Koki would rather put out a little extra effort and have a satisfied customer for life.
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

if it doesn't bother performance or the overall comfort while using the knife, i wouldn't even think about it

=D

I wonder if it might e one of those tiny design elements we don't tend to notice, but make a big difference in comfort....

09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com