Takashi Saji Yanagi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechler

Reaction score
Has anyone used this knife? The bone handle is interesting though I do not know much about its steel

I bought one a few years back. For the price I think they're great single bevels to learn on if you don't want carbon; the stag ones anyway, I think the bamboo version is fairly expensive.

F+F is decent, spine and choil are nicely rounded, from memory the ura was pretty even on mine. Handle was certainly attached solidly but there was a fair amount of visable epoxy around the brass bolster. I actually ended up knocking the handle off and replacing it was a cheap ho wood one.

I haven't really used it enough to comment on the steel, it's spent most of it's life in the drawer. But it gets really sharp, deburring isn't too bad, harder than carbon steel for sure but still pretty easy. It is quite chippy but that could also come from my lack of skill and it is super thin for a yanagi. Much lighter and shorter than most conventional yanagis, perhaps more like a fugu/usubiki?

I was actually considering picking up a deba recently from the same line.

Cheers,
Josh

i have a 180 saji santoku and like it very much. very thin knife, incredible distal taper, good steel.

Back