Car advice please - 2001 Cherokee issues?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My Sebring finally died, right when my savings have been used up after unemployment for some time, the unemployment benefits running out, and the summer break makes it difficult to find a teaching job right now. Still, I need a car to get around to the shop an other things. I hate to spend $1500 on a junker car that will continue to give me as much trouble as the Sebring did. I now have an offer for a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo with under 100K miles for a reasonable price (around $3K). That this is the car of the dad of one of the more reasonable car repair people I know makes me somewhat optimistic, but I don't know anything about Jeeps. I can live with the bad gas milage for a while because I don't drive much, the guy will check it through again for any other major things (the breaks seem a bit soft right now), reg and safety are new. Otherwise it drives and looks nice. What I read about them is very mixed, and in the end is somehow is also a Chrysler... Any thoughts? Things I really need to look at before I buy? Or should I run? Right now I don't have a clue where to get the $$ for the car but if I did and any major issues came up in the near future I'd de facto be bankrupt. Never thought I would get into that situation in my life... Anyway, all thoughts are welcome.

Stefan

I had one of those, The thing about alot of Jeep cherokees is that sometimes while driving down the road, you will suddenly lose all power and the vehicle will just die, Your battery will go dead and when you jumpstart it, it will start right back up and you can drive around until the battery is drained again. You'll take it in have the battery changed, check the starter, solenoid , alternator and just spend tons of money trying to figure out the problem. Here is the thing most mechanics won't think to look at a $20. part called the "air idle controller". It is an issue on Jeeps that most people will never figure out and most mechanics are not aware of. I used to carry a spare one in my glove box. If I was on a long trip in the middle of nowhere and suddenly my car died, I would change that part and get a jump and was good to go. So remember carry a spare " air idle controller". Other then that I loved my cherokee and had no other problems with it. My father still drives it while I live in NYC. He reports no problems.

I had that car, but the 1998 model. Kept it about 7 years and never had any major problems with it. Real good in the snow, which I guess you don't care about at all. The ride was a little stiff, but that's what you expect from a Jeep. It had a great view of the road being up high. For $3K it sounds like a pretty good deal. Good luck.

I had a 98. Hunka Junk!
Chrysler sucks.
Run!!!!

Nooo, don't give me contradicting information! ;) Thanks guys, I'll see what happens, the car gets checked through today and then I'll hear how much the owner really wants for it. I will go from there, I guess...

Stefan

Everyone I've ever known (5 people?) who've owned these things hated them because the damn things were always breaking down or catching fire...LOL

Good luck there Stefan

If it has the 4.0 engine and its maintained then I'd pay $3k. The motor itself is solid, it's just the rest of the truck can give you fits. In any case I know a guy who just bought a 97 with 110k for $3500 so you're at least doing well on the price. I work at a wholesale car auction and that thing would probably break $3k at auction.

Only decent jeeps were made by AMC, run from everything else.

I had a 2001 and got it three years old with 35k and sold it with 160k without many major issues. I could have been a lucky one though.

As a kid we had a new one about every 7 years. So I can tell you my father loves them....but never owns them past about 120k.

I took one from Alaska to Florida and back without issue...Except for the time I thought 4WD would take me out the old logging road to the "Into the wild" bus...yeah I was a dope and it got stuck in the mud immediately.

O.k., Cherokee man can't make up his mind about selling and I've had it, need to move forward. Now I am looking at a 2001 Mitsubishi Diamante XLS and a 2001 Infiniti I30. Both have a V6 engine, about 108K miles, a sunroof (which consulates me over not being able to afford a convertible) and similar cost around $3,300 - 3,500. Drove the Infiniti today (my first time in one) and it was very nice, a little wear on the leather and the driver's side window motor still needs fixing, a few small dents I don't care about, the tire profiles are borderline. Will have it checked out by an independent mechanic tomorrow, but so far I like it. Haven't seen the Mitsubishi, yet, from the description it sounds like it may be a little better cared for ('family car') and the registration runs 6 months longer. Still have to check it out, but intuitively the Infiniti sounds like 'more car', the Mitsubishi more like my father (who washes his every Saturday) would approve. Although the main thing is that the thing does not cause me any major headache and costs in the next year. I'll probably roll the dice unless anybody has some thoughts?

Stefan

Dang, looks like the Mitsubishi was sold while I was having dinner... Looking at two Mercedeses now besides the Infiniti, a 1999 C280 and a 2000 E320, but the prices are crawling upward, so I better not look too closely. Also looked at older Toyota Avalons, but they seem quite expensive comparatively. So much easier buying cars when you have more money...

Stefan

All the jeeps Cherokee I have had (3) were very dependable transportation. Straight 6 engens that didn't leak oil or need lots of maintenance. Good solid vehicles IMO

I have nothing but good to say about them. and I have just given our last one. a 03 I think to my Daughter as her first car. I bought it used and after more then 2 years of driving this buggy its shown itself to be dependable and I wanted her to not have a car that would leave her stranded.

Good luck with your search.

Back