Quantcast
One Recipe. Only one. And you vouch for it. - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: One Recipe. Only one. And you vouch for it.

+1. Do I see roasted pepper and corn in the mix?
    Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Those look awesome.

k.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Here is another one that works on a real BBQ or just a grill.

Always a crowd favorite!

Enjoy!
    Thanks TJ!

If you were to dip them in beer batter and deep fry them and serve with spicy guacamole? hmmmmm?
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I think they're called Armadillo Eggs if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Here is another one that works on a real BBQ or just a grill.

Always a crowd favorite!

Enjoy!
    Thanks TJ!

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    Are you going to share?
    Like I say, the recipe is not authentic in the slightest, but for any of the US recipes I've read, you just can't get the ingredients here in Europe. So maybe you wouldn't even call it chilli? Also I generally make it for a few people, some of whom don't like anything super spicy. I just get quite a lot of beef mince, fry it with some onions and about 6 cloves of garlic then throw in about half a jar of roasted red peppers I've cut up. Add cumin and hot paprika, Worcestershire sauce, chipotle paste, tomato puree and about 2 tins of chopped tomatoes. Then add a 660ml bottle of beer (I use San Miguel) and simmer it for about an hour an a half. Then just before I serve it I add a little brown sugar and cinnamon, and that's it

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    Thomas Keller's Fried Chicken from Ad Hoc, hands down an unbelievable dish every time! I'll take a photo of the recipe tomorrow.
    So I did TK's fried chicken tonight and it was amazing. I love the spice and it was the moistest fried chicken I have ever had. The only thing I would do is cut down the brining time from 12 to 8 hours. TK said that going beyond 12 hours will make the meat too salty, and at 12 it was a tad on the salty side for me. TK often admits to the fact he has become desensitized to salt and he travels with a little salt box so he can salt his dishes more at restaurants, so I sometimes try to cut back on salt in his dishes because I assume he errs on the side of salt.

With that said, it was awesome and I will definitely do it again. Thanks for sharing this.

Next up: probably Jim's pasta and Lucretia's chocolate cake for my daughter's birthday. And once I can find good fingerlings at the farmers' markets I will try kynfe's rec on Pommes Boulangere from Coliccio.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

hanger steak with agrodolce sauce. Got this from a TV show "The Best Thing I Ever Ate." It's from Fig restaurant in SC and the recipe wasn't specific. I emailed Fig with what I thought it was and they said it wasn't on the menu at the moment (nice way of saying "We're not giving you the recipe") but what I had was about right.

Last night the 12 year-old daughter of our friends asked us to "Make that steak thing again when we come to your house." She remembered it from a year ago.

Mire poix of carrots, onions and garlic
    Tomato paste
    Balsamic
    Saba
    Aromatics
    Beef stock
    Veal stock

Reduce and strain
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by mano View Post
    hanger steak with agrodolce sauce. Got this from a TV show "The Best Thing I Ever Ate." It's from Fig restaurant in SC and the recipe wasn't specific.
    I went looking for details on this (still don't have enough of them for me to feel confident that I could do it right without some experimentation), and found the video:

I've made this about 10 times, always to rave reviews. Approximates:

Mire poix:
    1 onion
    1 carrot
    4-5 garlic cloves

1 cup beef stock (they recommend using steak trimmings, but unless you're making a lot of hanger steaks, there isn't much to trim off each one)
    1/2 cup veal stock
    1/2 cup balsamic
    1/2 cup saba (it's a PITA to find and can be expensive. On a few occasions I substituted a pound of white grapes, crushed them, boiled them down to 1/2 cup)
    2 tbs tomato paste

Aromatics: several sprigs of rosemary and thyme or whatever you like. Lately I've added juniper berries
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

My goto meal if i'm having a shite day is a Sous vide 2" thick rib eye steak. 132F for 8 hours, seasoned with S&P, butter, a shake of garlic powder, spring of greek oregano. Seared off on a charcoal grill or a stupid hot cast iron pan. Once maillard skin appears, rub with a piece of garlic. Rest steak on cooling rack.

Strain steak bag juice with double layer of cheese cloth or chinois, make a pan sauce with steak fond. I like red wine, steak bag juice, lemon or good white wine vinegar, butter and s&p.

Serve steak with some roasted veg, some kind of mash or wilted greens. I like the steak on some wilted fresh spinach or pea shoots/spinach salad with a tart lemon and dijon vinaigrette, chevre or shaved hard cheese, and some kind of toasted nuts.

A fresh horse raddish dip is killer with the steak as well. Grated fresh horse raddish (more or less depending on how spicy you like it), 1:1 mayo and 14% MF sour cream, squeeze of lime, S&P.

Needless to say, we don't go out to restaurants for steak.

Quote Originally Posted by mano View Post
    I've made this about 10 times, always to rave reviews. Approximates:

Mire poix:
    1 onion
    1 carrot
    4-5 garlic cloves

1 cup beef stock (they recommend using steak trimmings, but unless you're making a lot of hanger steaks, there isn't much to trim off each one)
    1/2 cup veal stock
    1/2 cup balsamic
    1/2 cup saba (it's a PITA to find and can be expensive. On a few occasions I substituted a pound of white grapes, crushed them, boiled them down to 1/2 cup)
    2 tbs tomato paste

Aromatics: several sprigs of rosemary and thyme or whatever you like. Lately I've added juniper berries
    Oh you jerk. Now I have to try this. It sounds rediculous. I've saving the last of my veal stock in the freezer for something epic.

Could you just reduce 100% no sugar added grape juice? Or would you be missing out on the bitter from the seeds and skin?