Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: One Recipe. Only one. And you vouch for it.

I'd have to go with my summertime brunch go-to. Eggs Benedict, Maryland Style.

Long story short, instead of english muffin, the base is a local tart panko breaded fried green tomato (high heat so still pretty sturdy inside) but nicely warmed through.
    Replace canadian bacon with local virginia ham or pancetta, sauteed/fried until slightly crispy.
    On top a local perfectly poached large farm egg with a gorgeously vibrant runny orange yolk.
    Top egg with fresh jumbo lump maryland crabmeat, delicately turned with fresh minced garden chive and cold steamed eastern shore corn, and topped with a homemade old bay hollendaise.

Why it's amazing? FGT = crunch and tart, ham gives texture, fat, umami, runny poached egg is just gorgeous and silky, local crab meat is pefectly sweet and tender and seafoody, local chives give color and hint of onion, corn gives incredible sweet complement to crab, and old bay hollendaise, because it is just a part of my soul growing up here. All together, one big messy bite = summertime in maryland.

Credit is years of living in this area, and countless versions of traditional eggs benedict with bits and pieces of this, e.g. traditional with crab, or traditional with old bay, etc. I'm sure it's been done before, but this to me, in a nutshell, is a perfect maryland summertime brunch, and the dish that I would request on my deathbed, assuming somehow I was dying during that brief summertime window when the stars align and I can get all of these things in optimal condition from farmers market. Also, I am not big into even numbers, so when I do this, I have 3 towers, not the eternally traditional two.

PS - this MD Style benedict pairs extraordinarily well with an old-bay rimmed bloody mary, replacing the traditional celery stalk with a spicy pickled green bean.

We got this recipe from Bon Apetit magazine about 20 years ago. It didn't have the salt or liqueur in it, I think they add but aren't mandatory. It's just about the perfect chocolate cake, IMO. Dense, moist, and rich. It's also one of the easiest to make cakes in the world and almost foolproof. (Leaving the wax paper on the bottom or overcooking a little bit are recoverable. Dropping the cake onto the bottom of the oven when you take it out to cover it with foil isn't so great, but if you have the ingredients you can have another whipped up and in the oven in minutes.)

Almost Flourless Chocolate Cake

10 oz bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
    1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
    5 large eggs
    1 1/4 cup sugar
    5 Tbsp all purpose flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    A couple glugs of liqueur (Grand Marnier & Chambord are nice--use what you like)
    A couple pinches salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour 10 inch springform pan, and line the bottom with waxed paper. Melt together chocolate & butter, remove from heat and stir in liqueur.

Beat eggs and sugar in large bowl until well blended and starting to thicken. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt over eggs and fold in. Gradually fold in chocolate mixture, then pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 20 minutes, then cover pan with foil and bake about 30 minutes longer, until tester comes out with moist crumbs still attached (don't overcook!)

Cool in pan on rack (cake will fall). Remove cake from pan (don't forget to take off the waxed paper.) Dust with powdered sugar and cocoa.

Good with ice cream, whipped cream, unwhipped cream, fruit, or naked (you, the cake, or both.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Here is one I posted on B&B a few years ago- never fails to please. A few guys tried this out with great results, the only failure was those that hurried the browning of the tomatoes and rushed the cooking.

OK lets get started~

What you need:

3- 28 ounces cans of plum tomatoes, San Marzano is best.

1 cup of chopped onion

4 cloves of garlic chopped

A large handful of fresh basil

2 lbs of veal, cubed

1 tsp of red pepper flake

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 oz EVOO

Dice, slice and cube everything to start.

Heat oil in large enough pot to fit all the tomatoes with plenty of room left over.

Brown cubed veal and reserve.

Lightly brown onions and half way through add garlic, reserve.

Brown 2 cans of tomatoes, Don't rush this part!

Add onions and garlic red pepper and salt.

Add the rest of the tomatoes.

Simmer on low for many hours, add water as needed.

(After 3 hours)

(After 6 hours)

Add reserved meat and Basil to sauce, cook one more hour.

Cook Pasta.

Enjoy!

I just had an idea: what about a KKF Cookbook?
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

+1

Jim - that looks awesome. Does the meat come out braised but intact? Thinking of trying this (and also feeding to my toddler) who loved everything pasta - just curious about how the chunks turn out.

I make a ragu bolognese that is very similar to this (not as much tomato and a little bit of cream at the end), and it is always killer, provided you give it the time to reduce properly.
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away you silly man or I shall taunt you a second time!

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Burls View Post
    heldentenor has started working on a cookbook. Here is the thread.

If this thread inspires anyone, I am sure he would welcome additional submissions.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Burls View Post
    There was one in progress about a year ago, but it seems to have dropped off the map. There was supposed to be recipes along with the knives and pictures of the work in progress with the knives.