• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Suehiro Rika 5k

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
Looking for this stone or another in the same grit/level of finish.
If not a Rika, I'd like another stone that can be used as a mid grit, or finishing stone.
Thanks guys!

Hey Lefty sir
I've bought a few knives etc from these folks, they have one in stock and are in Canada
I've had nothing but great service and support
Josh

Tosho knife Arts

Im soooooooooooooooooooo disappointed in you Lefty.

Here I thought you had class and style, and you should know by now that naturals are the only way to ride :)

Why do you want a Rika exactly?

I've been keeping my eye out for a Rika because I'm a minimalist stone kind of guy.
I currently use a king 1k and either 800 grit or 1500 grit wet/dry. I then finish on some 2500 grit and that's it...
I would like something more "permanent" than the middle grit I'm using and would like to finish with the new stone, if at all possible.
The only thing holding me back from the Rika is how muddy it reportedly is. Part of me wouldn't mind something harder to really bring out the keen feeling in my edges. (I think a Rika might be a nice balance).
BUT, I do purposely have some convexivity (?) to my edges...so, as jon pointed out to me, a synth aoto might do the trick.
Decisions, decisions....

Listen to Jon. Its unfortunate that Jon feels that he needs to hold back on his opinions because conflict of interests. The guy knows his stuff and personally owns and has used more stones than anyone I know. You just have to drag the knowledge out him sometimes because he's so damn PC.

Hahaha. I know!
I feel like I'm badgering him! :)

not at all... i really enjoy answering questions, but the one thing i hate more than anything on these kinds of forums is when vendors push their products down peoples throats... i just dont want to be that guy. If you ask me questions, i'm always happy to answer them, but i wont be the first guy to jump up and say "buy my stuff". Also, if i feel uncomfortable with a conversation getting too business-like, i will take it to a PM. Anyways, thats where i'm coming from. I hope you guys understand.

Just to be clear, it was a compliment! :D

You always answer my questions, and that's why I tend to pm you if I have any. It's tough to separate business and "personal" and I find you and one other "vendor/maker" do a great job of balancing it!

thanks guys... i really appreciate it. I just thought it might be helpful to explain where i was coming from. Anyways, if you do have any other questions, i'll be here.

I do fine with an Arashiyama 6k as a polishing stone. You might wanna take a look at that.

thanks guys... i really appreciate it. I just thought it might be helpful to explain where i was coming from. Anyways, if you do have any other questions, i'll be here.

...Lurking in the shadows, watching over his people.
Are you Batman???
Sorry guys, I'm at the end of a busy night shift, so I'm writing nonsense.

I do fine with an Arashiyama 6k as a polishing stone. You might wanna take a look at that.

I'm going to be lucky enough to give a 6k-8k natural a try, so we'll see how that goes! :)

I've had a synth aoto for a while now and like it. I can say with certainty that I have yet to be able to fully utilize the potential of the stone. Think of the mud it creates as a good thing though, because the particles will further refine it as you work the knife and you'll end up with a better finish. This is especially an advantage if you plan to stop after this stone. I also like it for polishing bevels with the intention of a kasumi finish. It ain't easy, but it's doable. Dave recommends the king 800/Aoto as a good started for the kasumi haze, or at least he used to.

Hey Lefty,

I have one I'm willing to sell. It's pretty much brand new, just use lightly a couple of time.

I'll part it for $45 shipped.

Jay

Broida had a Gessin prototype stone in the 5k range that he's thinking about bringing in. Little to no mud and great feedback. Ask Tinh, he's used it.

Pesky

Back