Who makes the best Stainless Steel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
Hey guys so unfortunately i hear Mario is not really making too many knives anymore, i am wondering who makes really good stainless steel?

Really liked the cpm154 that Mario produced anything similar to that?

Qualities im looking for is good edge retention, edge holding abilities

Takes a sharp edge but nothing that needs to be super scary sharp.

And that sharpens up pretty easily.

Thanks

Devin Thomas makes killer AEB-L blades and has been experimenting with some other mixes. And Pierre Rodrigue is a master of CPM154 and is also playing with some other stainless mixes these days.

Pierre Rodrigue is a master of CPM154 and is also playing with some other stainless mixes these days.

I should have stated that Pierre Rodrigue also uses CPM154, the one I linked just happens to be S35V

In no particular order:

Pierre Rodrigue;
Randy Haas (HHH Knives);
Marko Tsourkan;
Tilman Leder (Rottman);
Devin Thomas;
Mike Davis;
Will Catcheside;
Butch Harner;
Del Ealy;
Thomas Haslinger.

I probably forgot someone.

Mike Davis. :)

Mike makes awesome knives i have only used his carbon though what stainless is he using?

Love his stuff.

I have been curious about Pierre and not so sure i can afford DT haha

Hes messing around with 154. I am doing his heat treat and cryo on them.. No matter what knife Davis makes its gona be a great cutting tool!

I'm glad Mike's expanding into stainless, but it seems kinda like Chuck Norris deciding to be a boxer. We all know he's going to have great results, win the Olympic Gold, Silver and Bronze for three different countries, all in the same year, and be the face of Coke and Pepsi, as a result...but it just seems weird. That's it, I need to talk to that guy!

I was stuck on carbon until I tried Mario's stainless that stuff is awesome, has extreme edge retention yet takes a very keen edge and had toughness.

Hoping I can find some that can compare going to send Pierre a message his stuff has also been on my list anyways.

Still need to talk to mike about scimitar anyways so maybe some new projects will be in the works

Thanks guys

Butch's CPM-154 and Devin's AEB-L have definitely made me a stainless believer!
This ain't yo mama's stainless!

In no particular order:

Pierre Rodrigue;
Randy Haas (HHH Knives);
Marko Tsourkan;
Tilman Leder (Rottman);
Devin Thomas;
Mike Davis;
Will Catcheside;
Butch Harner;
Del Ealy;
Thomas Haslinger.

I probably forgot someone.

Any Japanese that can be added to this list ?

Yeh some more Japanese Gyuto wt. premium stainless & good geometry,agree it aint your mama's stainless,but you gotta pay for it.

Devin's PM stainless, followed by Devin's AEB-L. HT is crucial for getting best performance from these steels.
Both respond extremely well to 8K DMT touch up and stropping on 1M felt. PM has a bit more wear resistance, but having 8K plate near by, minimizes that advantage.

I have only used stainless from butch and mario and can say they both make good stuff, my paring knife from butch came with the sharpest edge potboiler of any knife I've ever bought, and it still has 90% with only stropping. My Mario gyuto has been sharpened a handful of time and every time I wonder what the big deal is with sharpening stainless cause I swear it sharpens just as easy as carbon. Btw I'm pretty sure both are CPM-154

Latest posts

Back