• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS Two 240 gyutos: Hattori FH & Suien VC

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefdog

Reaction score
Putting these up to generate $ for something new.

1st up is a Hattori FH 240 gyuto, purchased new from JCK last October. Has been in rotation with a couple other knives and is in very good shape. Bevels have been set marginally lower than factory, with about a 70/30 righty bias. Spine and choil have been eased a bit to soften the edges. I won't say a whole lot since this knife is pretty well known. As expected, the fit of the linen micarta handle and bolster is damn near perfect. Specs can be found here: http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/HattoriForumHighEndChefsKnives.html#HattoriFH

$200 shipping (conus) and paypal fees included. Box included.
EC0A6CF3-6B83-4E5A-9CA7-D9F973CDDC26-241-0000001F8C10FDB4.jpg

F261E701-136F-4F8F-9E70-3F2A06C2791A-241-0000001F7A63CF06.jpg

B273B04C-491E-44F4-9F63-17657FD75C79-241-0000001F944DBFD2.jpg

2nd is a Suien VC 240 gyuto purchased from JKI in January:
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/suien/suien-vc-240mm-gyuto-81.html
This is a very good knife with a great profile, perfect for a do it all working knife. The steel is great, easy to grind, takes a very clean edge that lasts, surprisingly unreactive. The fit of the handle scales is just slightly off, typical for a knife at this price point. The tang is barely raised against the scales, but it's not noticeable in use. I've broken all the edges on the spine, bolster and choil with a dremel and sandpaper. I set a fairly steep and asymmetrical (righty) bevel, thinned it a bit, especially towards the tip, and it's cutting ability is vastly improved from the factory. This is not a laser, but a knife that will handle any reasonable job, and still able to make the precision cuts you need. For the money, an impressive knife for the steel alone.
529EF229-4598-4952-8121-8299150A8540-241-00000022E8A5604D.jpg

BF9BE35C-0E85-4BE8-BCC8-22E5444BDBBB-241-0000002315D2F82A.jpg

$135 shipping (conus) and Paypal fees included.

If anyone would like more pictures, please PM me your email and ill gladly send them.
Thanks for looking.

A little bump. I'm not sure these have a chance after seeing a DT, a Rader, an HHH, a Carter and an Ealy all in the first 10 threads on the BST!!!
Wow.

A little bump. I'm not sure these have a chance after seeing a DT, a Rader, an HHH, a Carter and an Ealy all in the first 10 threads on the BST!!!
Wow.

Feel your pain Bro, kinda like having a yard sale on Rodeo Drive. Just bought a Yosh Nakiri from JMac or I'd be all over the Suien, especially since you already did all the work:angel2:

Bargain basement price drops.

$190 for the Hattori.
$130 for the Suien.

Bargain basement price drops.

$190 for the Hattori.
$130 for the Suien.

I'm not in the market for a gyuto right now, but I would like to say that the steel on the Suien is super-nice, based on my experience with the Suien cleaver. Gets really sharp and holds it for a long time.

These make AWESOME Mother's Day gifts!!!

Act now while supplies last!

Maybe try selling these on ebay. You may have a less discerning audience. I bought a Masamoto VG when I didn't know any better. Didn't get any takers on a similar forum, sold it quickly on ebay.

Kinda surprised these are still here. Both have great reps. around here.

too bad i'm outta a job or i'll grab that suien!

Hattori is sold.
I want a new gyuto, somebody wants the Suien, it's a great deal on a really solid knife.

Back