Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stropping

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    I like the strops. It's easier, and with a good compound, will blend any mistakes or uneven convexity in your bevel. Also, you can't(or at least shouldn't) use a honing rod on really hard knives, so I strop to maintain between sharpening.
    Like tk, I disagree about the honing rod part. I work in a pro kitchen and I use a ceramic rod and it works very well. When it's real busy I don't really have time/space to strop and I use the rod, it brings back the edge very quickly. I strop as well, and I am a big fan, but I think honing rods definitely have their place

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I agree with all of this except the honing rod part. I wouldn't have a problem with a careful honing on a ceramic or glass rod. Ridged metal rods and any sort of rough banging around is a definite no-no.
    I agree w/ Tk as well - I find the MAC ceramic rod works nicely to bring back an edge very quickly. I've found the harder the steel, the less effective. On my Moritaka AS, it's not as effective as on white #2 or VG-1. I do find that on those steels it raises a bur and I need to run the edge through some cork a couple of times.

I also use a rod differently than anywhere else I've seen - I put the end on the edge of a counter or cutting board so the rod is horizontal. I run the knife along the rod like I would do on a stone, but with one hand. I have much more control over pressure and angle this way. I do edge leading and then edge trailing strokes to remove as much but as possible, but it still needs the cork.

Ok it seems that I do not really need a strop then. And I do not use honing rods except on the knives they provide at the workplace. Btw, I've been down to the knife shop and saw some ceramic rods. Apparently there are different grits to them? Most are really rough just like sandpaper, even rougher than my 2k bester. They feel more like 400-600 grit stones to me. What exactly are ceramic/glass honing rods suppose to feel like?

Haha, I've used a sanituff to deburr before, didn't think anyone else would try it.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    ...What exactly are ceramic/glass honing rods suppose to feel like?
    My glass rod feels and looks like etched glass (frosted and not totally smooth). The two ceramic rods that get good pub are the MAC (mentioned earlier at 2k pretty smooth) and the Idahone (1.2k not quite as smooth but still pretty smooth)

Mac also has a 1.2k rod for $25. It's the one I found/use every now an then. I pretty much only use it on my parers and folders, but it is also a great tool to maintain your edges on other knives if you're in a hurry.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Mac also has a 1.2k rod for $25. It's the one I found/use every now an then. I pretty much only use it on my parers and folders, but it is also a great tool to maintain your edges on other knives if you're in a hurry.
    Yeah but can't seem to find MAC products in my country haha. And I wouldn't pay shipping for 1 rod. Prolly shop around.

Can anyone tell me the difference between a ceramic rod, a steel rod and a glass rod?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    Yeah but can't seem to find MAC products in my country haha. And I wouldn't pay shipping for 1 rod. Prolly shop around.

Can anyone tell me the difference between a ceramic rod, a steel rod and a glass rod?
    In Australia, you can get Kyocera ceramic rods for $70-90... the Idahone is still cheaper even if you have it shipped from the States. I have the Idahone, the MAC and the This Site Not Allowed Here.com borosilicate rod and I would recommend the Idahone and the HA. For stones, Bluewayjapan is currently the best vendor if you are not in the US.

Nice heads up there on the bluewayjapan store.
    I kinda like the description of the borosilicate rod but won't wanna buy it before I can get an upclose look at it or possibly a feel haha.

Shipping is such a PITA!
    I'm glad for you guys that you've figured out reasonable alternatives. What about JCK?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com