Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stropping

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    I strop my knives at home. I just take them home and deal with sharpening/maintenance/edge alteration there. If my edge can't survive a hard day's use, I screwed it up!
    Haha yeah that's true. I use to sharpen my knives once every 3 days or so, but now the edge usually lasts me at least a week, with steeling. Think it's mainly cos of Jon's sharpening vids haha.
    Thing is, ever since I bought my first J-knives, I've been encouraged not to steel them on grooved steel, but since that's all that's available at the workplace, I'm thinking on weather stropping at the end of the day or an occasional few seconds of steeling on a glass/ceramic/ungrooved steel throughout the day would be a better/preferable option to most of you guys who cook professionally.

There have been various cheapskate substitute suggestions for honing on the run, like the bottom of a coffee mug or pyrex tray. If you go for the least expensive option (the Idahone) you will never know the difference between it and the MAC or HA boro rod. I'm not saying that they're the same, I'm just saying you probably won't miss them.

I was in Singapore a few weeks ago, btw, had a fantastic time! ION and MBS are amazing. Jumbo at Dempsey was also a highlight.

I've been wondering if a fine or extra fine DMT Diafold would be very useful in a pro kitchen. It's small enough to keep in your pocket when folded.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    I've been wondering if a fine or extra fine DMT Diafold would be very useful in a pro kitchen. It's small enough to keep in your pocket when folded.
    That's a thought.

maybe for a short line knife...

My concern with the DMT would be the same reason I don't use the diamond coated hone here at work. It chips my Tojiro all up. I use it to remove steel on cheap knives, but I don't touch my cutlery with it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    Haha yeah that's true. I use to sharpen my knives once every 3 days or so, but now the edge usually lasts me at least a week, with steeling. Think it's mainly cos of Jon's sharpening vids haha.
    Thing is, ever since I bought my first J-knives, I've been encouraged not to steel them on grooved steel, but since that's all that's available at the workplace, I'm thinking on weather stropping at the end of the day or an occasional few seconds of steeling on a glass/ceramic/ungrooved steel throughout the day would be a better/preferable option to most of you guys who cook professionally.
    I use the Mac black ceramic at work. It is way more durable than other ceramic rods, it is a tube with a core inside so it is less likely to break. I keep it in my knife roll with no worries. I hardly ever use it at work however. My sous chef uses it more on his Mac Mighty Gyuto than I do on my own knives.

I actually sharpen my knives only once a week. I do a fair amount of prep, but not a ton of it is edge killing. For breaking down chickens I use a Tojiro honesuki, and that thing holds up really well. I break down whole fish sometimes, thats the only time edge degradation is at all significant. But mostly I use gyutos, and luckily for me, I have half a dozen of them, and carry 3 in my knife roll. I am like my very own knife sharpening service, when one gets dull I just swap it out with a fresh one! Then I sharpen anything that needs it on my day off. At least I have found an excuse to justify having this many gyutos.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I use the Mac black ceramic at work. It is way more durable than other ceramic rods, it is a tube with a core inside so it is less likely to break. I keep it in my knife roll with no worries. I hardly ever use it at work however. My sous chef uses it more on his Mac Mighty Gyuto than I do on my own knives.

I actually sharpen my knives only once a week. I do a fair amount of prep, but not a ton of it is edge killing. For breaking down chickens I use a Tojiro honesuki, and that thing holds up really well. I break down whole fish sometimes, thats the only time edge degradation is at all significant. But mostly I use gyutos, and luckily for me, I have half a dozen of them, and carry 3 in my knife roll. I am like my very own knife sharpening service, when one gets dull I just swap it out with a fresh one! Then I sharpen anything that needs it on my day off. At least I have found an excuse to justify having this many gyutos.
    Haha sounds kinda like me. I keep 3 chef's in my roll, but usually I do not have to swap. I'd have a go on the 2k I carry around in my case during the break in the middle of the day but I was thinking more about doing the slicing and cutting for the final presentations. Wonder if stropping my knives will make the edge last longer.

Strops are used in many other applications, perhaps you can find some stuff at a woodworking shop? A block of balsa and some leather will give you a good idea of what stropping can do for you, for minimal investment and no need to ship stuff halfway around the world.

I usually don't rotate through all of my gyutos in one day. I usually end up using one the entire week, but sometimes I switch it up just because I can.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    I was in Singapore a few weeks ago, btw, had a fantastic time! ION and MBS are amazing. Jumbo at Dempsey was also a highlight.
    Give us a shout when you next come down, might be able to do a SEAG! haha. I think there are what, 3 of us? madmel, you and myself. I think I spotted a couple of outliers too...