Quantcast
Stropping - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stropping

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Shipping is such a PITA!
    I'm glad for you guys that you've figured out reasonable alternatives. What about JCK?
    I never liked the look of JCK's stones. I bought a ton of stones from Metalmasterjp before he went AWOL.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    I kinda like the description of the borosilicate rod but won't wanna buy it before I can get an upclose look at it or possibly a feel haha.
    Is there an IKEA store near you? They do a decent ceramic rod that's super cheap. The others suggested here are better, but if you want to get a rough idea of how they are I'd get one of these

Is metalmaster still MIA?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Huh? I ordered two knives from http://www.metalmaster-ww.com on 22/4 and received them just fine, or is that another guy?

He seems to be back. But a few days ago he again cleared the decks of his ebay store. Yes, it's the same guy.

He does that a lot, it seems. Last time was around Xmas, if I remember correctly. He was gone a good month or so!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    ...Can anyone tell me the difference between a ceramic rod, a steel rod and a glass rod?
    Ceramic rods are relatively brittle and are fairly abrasive. They will "sharpen" and "realign" your edge.
    Glass rods are also relatively brittle but are much less abrasive and mainly realign the edge.
    Steel rods are less brittle but the grooved steels are far too aggressive and tend to damage edges unnecessarily while the smooth steels take forever to really make a difference. Also, they will scratch against very hard blades. I have a smooth steel that I use when I'm cooking away from home.

I think lot of people get confused on what stropping is does.
    I like the stropping.

I can't seem to do any ordering at metalmasters. my cart keeps going empty when I check out...
    steven: I will check out the ikea one just to get a feel of it.
    tk: Good info there. Thanks Can't find any smooth steels around here. They'r all grooved, the diff is just how much groove they have.

Is a bocosilicate rod the same as a glass rod? I think I'd like a look at a glass rod up close haha. So what do you guys actually use in your kitchens?

Borosilicate rods are glass rods. The one from Hand American is very popular. For softer steel, where a honing steel is needed, I'd suggest the F Dick Multi-Cut. I think the time it takes to hone an edge with a steel is a good thing, because it doesn't change so much, so you have less chance of slipping and really screwing something up. But then again, I grew up with a set of French knives and a steel, so I'm partial to the concept when applied properly.

I strop my knives at home. I just take them home and deal with sharpening/maintenance/edge alteration there. If my edge can't survive a hard day's use, I screwed it up!

+ Reply to Thread