Jen hits four year low, but so does the yen!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Reuters has a piece on Yahoo news about the yen dropping to 101.2 to the USD. Don't know about you but this makes buying a Wanatabe a bit easier!! His 165 nakiri with stainless cladding has been on my wish list for months now. Along with the 150 petty:biggrin:

...geez, I thought you meant Jen, which ever one, was bipolar

guys what are some good sites to buy off to take advantage of this.

apart from rakuten, most japanese sites don't have english page, nor their stuff speak / read / write english.
If you are brave, and with the help of google translate, it is possible to order knifes then ship to those forwarding agents . The search has to be in kenji though.

I did this with 3 of my refcent shigs purchase, pretty happy with the experience. japanese are extremely efficient in shipping their stuff.

what knives would you guys be looking for on rakuten im just looking for bargains and i wantdd a cheap masamoto ks but there all sold out and the shigefusa are out of my prices range atm

The entire misono swed line is pretty cheap at JCK, im guessing they dropped their prices with the most recent restock. I'm thinking about getting a petty, only $85!

It's about $300 for a KU 270 gyuto now from Watanabe. I paid over $350 for a 240 a couple of years ago

can you link the watanabes i cant find them

Japan is printing money even faster and harder than the Fed is here. I think that the yen will fall a lot further but the dollar will too so you may not notice much more buying potential.

The entire misono swed line is pretty cheap at JCK, im guessing they dropped their prices with the most recent restock. I'm thinking about getting a petty, only $85!

Does anyone have an idea why there is such a price jump from the SS 210mm to the SS 240mm?

I was originally worried at the title of this thread because my wife's name is Jen!

I hope I'm not getting too often topic here but do you know if that price includes a burnt chestnut handle? Is the kurouchi finish the only the difference between the korouchi and regular gyutos? Sorry that website is a little confusing.

Pretty sure you have to pay extra, I did when I got my 240 a few years ago, it cost me about $40 I believe. I think on some of the smaller ones the burnt chestnut handle is standard but not the bigger ones. I have read good things about the keyaki octagon handles but they're like $80 more than the ho. Pretty sure the KU finish is the only difference between it and the regular gyutos, it's cool that he charges less for the KU knives. You can get them engraved as well for just a few dollars. Pretty sure they're all blue steel unless it says otherwise

I'm probably gonna buy a new car soon but if I wasn't I think I'd get something from him

Japan is printing money even faster and harder than the Fed is here. I think that the yen will fall a lot further but the dollar will too so you may not notice much more buying potential.

Yup. There's a full-tilt currency war a-brewin'.

Back