Quantcast
Rehandle materials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Rehandle materials

  1. #1

    Rehandle materials

    Doing my first rehandle on a sabatier, however, I first wanted to put feelers out there... I know where to get scales, but Where do you guys source pins, liners, glue, etc? I'm sure I could find some stuff with a search, but I'd like to use who you fine gents use. Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member cclin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,093
    here K&G
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

  3. #3
    Where are you getting your scales from?

    Someone mentioned chicago cutlery a few days back, so I went to my basement to hunt down my old CC chef's knife. Handles were destroyed from moisture, so I stripped the handle.

    I was thinking about getting a Micarta scales from ebay/amazon and grinding it down, but I would like to hear what you are going for. I have no experience with rehandling, but it's a beater knife so I'm willing to experiment.

  4. #4
    Thanks cclin.
    i had some stabilized walnut laying around for awhile. But ebay does have some good micarta and stabilized wood options

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,324
    I have always used Jantz and North Coast Knives. Don't know why I never thought of K&G, I will check them out next time. The only drawback to Jantz is the flat shipping rates. $9.95 regardless, so you have to have a reasonable sized order to make it worth it.

    3 corby rivets still get the 9.95 shipping....

  6. #6

  7. #7
    Senior Member ThEoRy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    3,058
    Jantz supply.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

  8. #8

    knyfeknerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Posts
    2,656
    Micarta might not be the best option for your 1st rehandle. It gums up my belts. Get some budget wood scales to start.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by xuz View Post
    Where are you getting your scales from?

    Someone mentioned chicago cutlery a few days back, so I went to my basement to hunt down my old CC chef's knife. Handles were destroyed from moisture, so I stripped the handle.

    I was thinking about getting a Micarta scales from ebay/amazon and grinding it down, but I would like to hear what you are going for. I have no experience with rehandling, but it's a beater knife so I'm willing to experiment.
    Mark at Burl Source has scales precut and will cut any block into scales as well. Myron at Dream Burls may though I have yet to inquire.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    Micarta might not be the best option for your 1st rehandle. It gums up my belts. Get some budget wood scales to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Mark at Burl Source has scales precut and will cut any block into scales as well. Myron at Dream Burls may though I have yet to inquire.
    You enablizers have enablized me.
    Just got a pair of blackwood scales from Mark. Thanks for the suggestion gents!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •