Quantcast
Sharpening advice wanted - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening advice wanted

A two Stone setup wt. good tech. goes along way.My Gesshin 2K getting a little thin been using it alot.Now using a 1200 Bester-4K Gesshin setup.

Yeah, I'm pretty confident that at this point (for my knives), the right 2 stones will allow me to do anything I need to do and produce the kind of edge I want.
    I think I'm just gonna keep the 400 chosera and see how it works for a while. The only decision is 2K or 3K to follow???

Hey Canadian,
    Thanks for your reply, I must've missed it the first time around.
    I've gone through 5 sets of stones in almost 2 years, and the biggest improvement has come from nothing more than sharpening more often. The second biggest positive is that I know what I like and what I don't, which makes the choices a little simpler. And I like simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    I think I'm just gonna keep the 400 chosera and see how it works for a while. The only decision is 2K or 3K to follow???
    The jump from 400 to 2k is perfectly possible, a little more work than with the 800 in between. You won't remove completely the 400 scratches. Very nice, toothy edge as one may expect.

If you are just sharpening your knives and do not expect to do serious repair work or thinning, a Bester 1000 or 1200 and either a 3000 or 5000 stone will work very well for you. I like the Bester stones because they rarely require flattening and are quite clean, and any 3000 or 5000 stone will work after them with very little wear.

Any chips or serious damage to the edge is going to take forever to grind out on a 1200 grit stone, I'd keep the Chosera 400 for that. Normal wear and tear isn't going to require the coarse stone to fix.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by psfred View Post
    If you are just sharpening your knives and do not expect to do serious repair work or thinning, a Bester 1000 or 1200 and either a 3000 or 5000 stone will work very well for you. I like the Bester stones because they rarely require flattening and are quite clean, and any 3000 or 5000 stone will work after them with very little wear.

Any chips or serious damage to the edge is going to take forever to grind out on a 1200 grit stone, I'd keep the Chosera 400 for that. Normal wear and tear isn't going to require the coarse stone to fix.

Peter
    IIRC, the Besters are soakers and the OP asked specifically for splash and go.

Trying a little further with my Choseras I've found even a jump from 400 to 5k is possible and leaves a great edge.
    Not advisable as a routine progression though: would you have any fatigued steel to be removed, and normally you always have, a 400 might be an overkill and constitute a waste of material. And you have to stay much too long with the 5k, starting by removing the scratches with a lot of mud and applying more pressure than normally, causing in the long run more wear than is wise with such an expensive stone.

Thanks for the effort and reply Benuser. In my relatively short time with the chosera, it seems to be pretty responsive to changes in pressure as far as how it cuts, and I'm thinking that going lightly with the 400 when needed can raise a small burr and move on without taking off too much steel.
    Has this been your experience as well, or is it my imagination?

Despite my earlier statement, I'm still debating whether 400 or 600 really makes any practical difference? The 800 seems too similar to my JNS 1K so it's out. And the 2K or 3K probably makes even less of a difference, but I'm leaning towards 2K since I use only double bevels and mostly stainless. I have a couple strops to finish on for the knives that will benefit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    In my relatively short time with the chosera, it seems to be pretty responsive to changes in pressure as far as how it cuts, and I'm thinking that going lightly with the 400 when needed can raise a small burr and move on without taking off too much steel.
    Has this been your experience as well, or is it my imagination?
    It's no imagination, it depends on the steel's abrasion resistance. Some stainless have a great abrasion resistance. My own experience, essentially with carbon, is that even a few light strokes will eventually eat your blade.

About 2k or 3k: don't you think your JNS 1k will end up very close to the 2k? Perhaps Maxime can tell.

[QUOTE=Benuser;206916]It's no imagination, it depends on the steel's abrasion resistance. Some stainless have a great abrasion resistance. My own experience, essentially with carbon, is that even a few light strokes will eventually eat your blade.

About 2k or 3k: don't you think your JNS 1k will end up very close to the 2k? Perhaps Maxime can tell.[/]

I guess with almost all stainless, this might not be as big of an issue for me.

As far as the JNS 1K, it and my JNS Aoto will be replaced with either the 2K or 3K chosera.