A newbie needs help!!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apichetk

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! So glad I've found this place and you guys. I've been overwhelmed by so many choices of kitchen knives in the knife world! So, I really need everyone's help in recommending me some good knifes for my needs. Thank you everyone so much in advance!

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
A gyuto and A pairing

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
Replacing my no-name 8" chef knife bought from a dollar store. I'm getting more serious in cooking now.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- I'm indifferent for damascus patterns (it's nice though), but want to have a knife that has good f&f.
Edge Quality/Retention- I haven't sharpened a knife on a waterstone before and plan to send my knives to a professional sharpener. So edge quality and retention are important to me.
Ease of Use- Hmm...no idea here.
Comfort-I want a knife that is comfortable to use.

What grip do you use?
Pinch grip

What kind of cutting motion do you use?
I use different motions.

Where do you store them?
A bamboo knife rack.

Have you ever oiled a handle?
No.

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
Ikea plastic board. I'm opened for suggestion and am thinking about Sani-tuff.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
I just bought a 1200 grit ceramic rod.

Have they ever been sharpened?
No.

What is your budget?
CAD200-250...May be able to stretch but if I can stay in my budget that would be great.

What do you cook and how often?
I plan to do stew, stir-fried veggie + meat, soup, steak, rice. I plan to cook once a week and eat what I cook during weekdays.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?
Live in Canada, but am happy to buy from anywhere as long as the shipping expense/duties/taxes are not too high.

Please help recommend what size of Gyuto and Pairing I should get.

I have done some research and have been looking at:

Gyuto
Hiromoto AS
JCK Carbonext
JCK FuRinKaZan
JCK Kagayaki AS
Ryusen Tsushime Damascus
Sakai Yusuke
Masakage Yuki
Masakage Mizu
Yoshikane SKD11

Pairing
Misuno Molybdenum

I think that I will use a gyuto more so I can somewhat get a cheaper pairing knife? Is my logic right?

Thanks so much again everyone for your time and help!!!

Welcome Apichetk..no experience with anything on your shopping list, but others with more knowledge will chime in to help.

Go with Yoshikane. Worth the money and still impresses me after years on the forum.

Go with Yoshikane. Worth the money and still impresses me after years on the forum.

Do you think the Yoshikane will be much better than Hiromoto AS? I'm now debating whether hand-forged knives are better than factory-made knives to the point that we can notice or not. Thanks for your input!

I have both. Both are great. I like the yoshikane more. Better edge retention, although both stay well toothy for quite a while. The yoshi is a better pure cutter due to its great grind.

Quite a few good choices there.Of those mentioned I own Yusuke in aeb-l and yoshi skd and feel quite comfortable in saying you'll be very happy with either as a beginner. Two things to consider toh: Yusuke is (generally) a very thin knife while the yoshis tend to be beefier but they both cut like hell, in their own different way.The second thing is price: not sure you're comparing apples with apples as a Yoshi gyuto I think is noticeably more expensive than,say, a Carbonext to take two from your list.Anyway welcome and don't let this overburden youbas you'll anyway end up buying something which is WAY superior and enjoyable than anything you've experienced yet. For knives, that is... :)

Oh, and you sure you don't wanna try a sharpening with a waterstone? It's fun, you know... :devilburn:

Thanks Chinacats!

Thanks Elpescador!

Dusty, do you think it's worth to spend more money on Yoshikane since Hiromoto AS is somewhat cheaper? :)

ChiliPepper, thanks a lot for your comment! Yah I was looking into knife sharpening too but I'm somewhat worried that I might ruin my knives! :scared4:

Hiromoto AS need some work on the stone to perform well and the F&F is not the best.

The Yoshikane is a perfect work horse :)

Thanks a lot everyone! I ended up with the 240mm Masakage Yuki special edition. I felt that it is lighter and more balanced than the normal one. The Yoshikane is a great knife but a bit too heavy for me.

Thanks again!

Gratz on your buy. Hope it is what you were looking for, it has a great rep. around here.

Latest posts

Back