Quantcast
52100 hamon - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 52100 hamon

so here is the next question for you guys then
    in a kitchen knife what is the need to ahve a softer spine on a blade any how ?

Quote Originally Posted by l r harner View Post
    so here is the next question for you guys then
    in a kitchen knife what is the need to ahve a softer spine on a blade any how ?
    isn't that how honyaky knives turn out to be?
    I am not sure what the function of the hamon is? Stress relieve during HT?

true hamon happens during quench and temper has little to nothing to do to it then
    in a nut shell unless you need a knife to be able to be bent to a set there is no real use other then to look nice (tradition trickle down from swords)

now then on a sushi knife that is single bevel being able to straighten a blade as you hone it would be mayber the one time a soft back is useful

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by l r harner View Post
    true hamon happens during quench and temper has little to nothing to do to it then
    in a nut shell unless you need a knife to be able to be bent to a set there is no real use other then to look nice (tradition trickle down from swords)

now then on a sushi knife that is single bevel being able to straighten a blade as you hone it would be mayber the one time a soft back is useful
    shock absorption? If the entire blade is as hard as some honyaki blades are, wouldnt it be helpful to have that softer steel to help absorb shock from cutting?

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    shock absorption? If the entire blade is as hard as some honyaki blades are, wouldnt it be helpful to have that softer steel to help absorb shock from cutting?
    I got to agree with Butch that hamon on a honyaki gyuto (57-60RC) is all about look. Not sure about yanagi. I was under impression that you can't straighten honyaki, so not sure why it has a soft spine.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I got to agree with Butch that hamon on a honyaki gyuto (57-60RC) is all about look. Not sure about yanagi. I was under impression that you can't straighten honyaki, so not sure why it has a soft spine.

M
    you can, but its a bit of a different process and they still break easily

also, i think it makes more of a difference at 62-64 hrc

I can and have shown 62rc blades bent 90 degrees with no fail and no blade set
    Did I tell you that the blade was cpm 154

I've yet to figure out what the function is of differential HT on kitchen knives.

I've asked this question to lots of chefs who have honyaki knives and some (not all) have mentioned that the knives feel more alive or springy in use compared to a more dead type feeling they note that kasumi construction offers. Now this says nothing for standard mono-steel knives not differentially heat treated and how they fair in comparison.

I've tried a few differentially HT single steel knives and for the life of me, I cannot tell the difference. Maybe you can feel it more for a hacking knife like a cleaver or a machete...