Quantcast
New knife Roll - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New knife Roll

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I'm anxiously awaiting a leather one from someone I found on Etsy, but it seems the durn USPS has lost it. It is still in the state of Maine after a week......
    .....I'm just so tired of having to replace my bag after a year.
    Let us know how she breaks in.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by azchef View Post
    Sachem it is a bit tight but hopefully they stretch a bit
    been using mine for a year and a half and it hasn't budged one bit. lol use it only for wa's because I know if I try to force anything larger I'm going to cut my fingers off.lol
    Mine is pretty heavy duty though and I wouldn't change it for anything. I just got to get another one made with wider slots for my other knives.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I've been lusting after one of these for about 2 years now. I'm literally about to pull the trigger on one but this talk about the handle slots being too thin is scaring me. Is it really a problem? Most of my knives are western handles. I'd be pretty bummed if I dropped the coin on this and couldn't fit my kit in there.

I do know if you buy them straight from the maker he's willing to customize however you'd like(was thinking of getting slots for sharpies on mine). I wonder if I brought this to his attention if he'd alter the size if the knife slots? Basically, I'm looking for confirmation that it is/isn't enough of a problem to go the custom route.

Beautiful bags though! Can't believe this style/use of leather isn't more popular with cooks.

Quote Originally Posted by veronporter View Post
    I've been lusting after one of these for about 2 years now. I'm literally about to pull the trigger on one but this talk about the handle slots being too thin is scaring me. Is it really a problem? Most of my knives are western handles. I'd be pretty bummed if I dropped the coin on this and couldn't fit my kit in there.

I do know if you buy them straight from the maker he's willing to customize however you'd like(was thinking of getting slots for sharpies on mine). I wonder if I brought this to his attention if he'd alter the size if the knife slots? Basically, I'm looking for confirmation that it is/isn't enough of a problem to go the custom route.

Beautiful bags though! Can't believe this style/use of leather isn't more popular with cooks.
    It isn't that it is a problem. Didn't mean to worry you. The slots will hold standard size knives and wa's quite well. It is the large fibrox or Dexter type handles that can be a bit tricky. The leather used to make the slots is very high quality but, not overly stretchy. What I did with mine is take some light sandpaper and distressed the hell out of it and then I covered it in" leather honey " to kinda of soften it up and give me a little stretch, place my handles in and let it dry to shape. As time goes by and you use your kit the leather will naturally distress and stretch a little making it easier to get them in and out. The guy who owns Jaw leather would gladly customize this to the size slots you need and his turn around is pretty quick. I think I got mine in 3 weeks and it was only twenty bucks more full a full custom. He made mine with 14 slots and made it able to accommodate a 16 inch bladed chef knife. It is a great virtually indestructible knife bag that will last generation if taken care of properly.

heard a trick for breaking in leather holsters where the guy used a plastic bag over the gun to add just a few mills of extra thickness... so dampen the leather as well; some say just the extra thickness is enough:
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456839
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

It should also be noted that some knives are wide enough to make the next slot unusable to all but only small paring knives. The with of the blade (with saya in my case) makes it so I can only hold 4 knives in the small (comes with 5 slots). Also being 18" in height the very tip of my suji and chef knives sayas stick out a little (but still covered by the canavas). For reference here are the knives I keep in mine:

Masamoto Honyaki Wa Gyuto-240mm
    Masamoto KS Wa Petty-165mm
    Masamoto KS Wa Sujihiki-270mm
    MAC Superior Bread Knife-10.5"
    Tojiro Senkou Classic Boning Knife-6" (I must keep this one in the side pocket because of the above mentioned problem)

Sachem what is your leather honey ?
    Respect all Fear none

Shoe repairmen use a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol to help stretch leather.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Fully loaded

Here is the roll loaded up. I had to work my honking rod around in there to make room but it works out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	15225  
    Respect all Fear none

http://www.leatherhoney.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by azchef View Post
    Sachem what is your leather honey ?