New knife Roll

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azchef

Reaction score
So after a couple of months and selling off some stuff I finally got my leather knife roll. All I can say is it a fine piece of craftsmanship

image.jpg

image.jpg

I bought it from the Phoenix knife house, he is in Phoenix and he has a online store. If you want one
From him I would email him

Thanks. I'm going to look into that. that knife roll is beautiful.

That is actually a really nice store. He has items listed for much cheaper than I have seen elsewhere.

Johnny it's a nice roll just having to stretch the new leather

Sachem it is a bit tight but hopefully they stretch a bit

I'm anxiously awaiting a leather one from someone I found on Etsy, but it seems the durn USPS has lost it. It is still in the state of Maine after a week......
.....I'm just so tired of having to replace my bag after a year.
Let us know how she breaks in.

Sachem it is a bit tight but hopefully they stretch a bit

been using mine for a year and a half and it hasn't budged one bit. lol use it only for wa's because I know if I try to force anything larger I'm going to cut my fingers off.lol
Mine is pretty heavy duty though and I wouldn't change it for anything. I just got to get another one made with wider slots for my other knives.

I've been lusting after one of these for about 2 years now. I'm literally about to pull the trigger on one but this talk about the handle slots being too thin is scaring me. Is it really a problem? Most of my knives are western handles. I'd be pretty bummed if I dropped the coin on this and couldn't fit my kit in there.

I do know if you buy them straight from the maker he's willing to customize however you'd like(was thinking of getting slots for sharpies on mine). I wonder if I brought this to his attention if he'd alter the size if the knife slots? Basically, I'm looking for confirmation that it is/isn't enough of a problem to go the custom route.

Beautiful bags though! Can't believe this style/use of leather isn't more popular with cooks.

I've been lusting after one of these for about 2 years now. I'm literally about to pull the trigger on one but this talk about the handle slots being too thin is scaring me. Is it really a problem? Most of my knives are western handles. I'd be pretty bummed if I dropped the coin on this and couldn't fit my kit in there.

I do know if you buy them straight from the maker he's willing to customize however you'd like(was thinking of getting slots for sharpies on mine). I wonder if I brought this to his attention if he'd alter the size if the knife slots? Basically, I'm looking for confirmation that it is/isn't enough of a problem to go the custom route.

Beautiful bags though! Can't believe this style/use of leather isn't more popular with cooks.

It isn't that it is a problem. Didn't mean to worry you. The slots will hold standard size knives and wa's quite well. It is the large fibrox or Dexter type handles that can be a bit tricky. The leather used to make the slots is very high quality but, not overly stretchy. What I did with mine is take some light sandpaper and distressed the hell out of it and then I covered it in" leather honey " to kinda of soften it up and give me a little stretch, place my handles in and let it dry to shape. As time goes by and you use your kit the leather will naturally distress and stretch a little making it easier to get them in and out. The guy who owns Jaw leather would gladly customize this to the size slots you need and his turn around is pretty quick. I think I got mine in 3 weeks and it was only twenty bucks more full a full custom. He made mine with 14 slots and made it able to accommodate a 16 inch bladed chef knife. It is a great virtually indestructible knife bag that will last generation if taken care of properly.

It should also be noted that some knives are wide enough to make the next slot unusable to all but only small paring knives. The with of the blade (with saya in my case) makes it so I can only hold 4 knives in the small (comes with 5 slots). Also being 18" in height the very tip of my suji and chef knives sayas stick out a little (but still covered by the canavas). For reference here are the knives I keep in mine:

Masamoto Honyaki Wa Gyuto-240mm
Masamoto KS Wa Petty-165mm
Masamoto KS Wa Sujihiki-270mm
MAC Superior Bread Knife-10.5"
Tojiro Senkou Classic Boning Knife-6" (I must keep this one in the side pocket because of the above mentioned problem)

Shoe repairmen use a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol to help stretch leather.

Here is the roll loaded up. I had to work my honking rod around in there to make room but it works out

image.jpg

It should also be noted that some knives are wide enough to make the next slot unusable to all but only small paring knives. The with of the blade (with saya in my case) makes it so I can only hold 4 knives in the small (comes with 5 slots). Also being 18" in height the very tip of my suji and chef knives sayas stick out a little (but still covered by the canavas). For reference here are the knives I keep in mine:

Masamoto Honyaki Wa Gyuto-240mm
Masamoto KS Wa Petty-165mm
Masamoto KS Wa Sujihiki-270mm
MAC Superior Bread Knife-10.5"
Tojiro Senkou Classic Boning Knife-6" (I must keep this one in the side pocket because of the above mentioned problem)

That's why I had him make me a 22" inch long one.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the roll made so that the blades go into the slots? That way you wouldn't need to use edge guards or sayas, that is unless you wanted to?

You can put these in blade first just have to be careful. these don't have the extra welt to protect the thread from being cut. I suppose you could put sleeves or edge guards on and they would be fine. Waiting on you to make me one Colin.lol

I'll see if I can get some pics in a few days. I'm on my third 90+ hour week in a row and don't have time to fart right now.

You can put these in blade first just have to be careful. these don't have the extra welt to protect the thread from being cut. I suppose you could put sleeves or edge guards on and they would be fine. Waiting on you to make me one Colin.lol
Lay out X amount of knives on a piece of paper outlining the blades. Kind of like what this guys doing in the photo but actually trace the profile of the blade as well. That way I can cut the welt to fit the next exactly. Or I could just do a generic one size fits most welt to protect the stitches (like what's been done in the photo), knives won't fit as snug but the roll would be more universal. Thanks now I know what to make you for Christmas:idea::dance:

image.jpg
image.jpg

I'm actually working on a custom designed to fit knives version of the electrician tool bag that I was using.

image.jpg

Having never made a bag or anything like this before it's going kind of slow but I do have a view of the panels almost finished.
This one has universal/generic welts sewn in
image.jpg

And this one is wet formed to hold Specific tools.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Looks great Chef! Love the gear/steam punk pattern on that one piece. I like the toolbar idea

Back