Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do with $500 if you had no knives

Talking What would you do with $500 if you had no knives

Trying not to hi-jack a thread with something I find really interesting. If you had $500 and no knives, what would you buy. Lots of threads, quite rightly, focus on what's best for the person asking the question. It'd be interesting to know what you'd buy.
    I'd go for a DT 270 wa ITK
    Forschner paring, bread, boning and a cheap deba with the leftover

What would you buy? I'm purposely ignoring sharpening and boards, though a $200 sharpening kit would also be really interesting

convince somebody to sell me a 300mm hiromoto wa sujihiki
    -thiago

CarboNext 27cm gyuto, 24cm sujihiki and 15cm petty, with sayas.

$500 budget from scratch, huh?

Hmm... Assuming I couldn't get anything second-hand:

Tanaka blue KU 165 deba - dirt cheap, great bang for the buck
    Yoshihiro white 270 yanagi - haven't had one yet, but I think this would be a good, reasonably-priced choice
    Konosuke white 240 gyuto - been using a 270, but to save some $ I think the 240 would still be great
    CCK cleaver - I'd get a kick-ass cleaver to use, but that'd blow most of the $500 budget in one go

I think this would be a good lineup, should fit in the $500 budget, and I would still be pretty happy in the kitchen. An extra $100 in the budget and I'd probably swap the CCK & Konosuke for a single Takeda, probably the kiritsuke-gyuto.
    Len

Hmmm, $500?

I'd use it to fund supplies to make 10 of my own.

If forced to buy knives....a 270mm DT wa handled ITK knife, a 3.5" Shun Classic paring knife, and the Mac bread knife. Slightly over budget, but close enough.

KonHD 270 gyuto, Ashi150 stainless petty, cheap heavy chinese cleaver
    or
    240 Kikuichi TKC/CarboNEXT, Heiji 150 semistainless petty, cheap heavy chinese cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    CarboNext 27cm gyuto, 24cm sujihiki and 15cm petty, with sayas.
    Yep. I don't have experience with the carbonext knives, but the tkc steel. Best bang for the money. I think it is one of the best steels for western styled Japanese knives other than high priced exotic stainless. I would substitute a 270 suji for the 240.

If I worked in a pro kitchen: Shigefusa 240 Guyto (just one knife)

In a home kitchen: DT ITK 240, Fujiwara 120 petty, Torjo Breadknife

I would take $450 and offer it to Dave M's UPS driver so he could take a week of vacation. Then I would use the remaining $50 to buy a UPS uniform.

I'm pretty sure I would be abale to build out a decent knife collection for that $500...

If my house burned down and someone gave me $500, I'd buy 3' of cpm154, 8 board feet of walnut, a rare earth magnet, brass rods, epoxy and glue, and a few belts. I'd go to my dad's house(cause my tools are gone, right?), and come out a week later with matching Gyuto, parer, slicer, veg knife, magnet rack, and board.

*edit* I take it back, I like Wildboar's idea. Except I'd just wear all black. I won't mess with the UPS.