Quantcast
Single microbevel. Genius.

Thread: Single microbevel. Genius.

Single microbevel. Genius.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?client=...&v=xwnFrjiAA_8

This video was a revelation to me. So, as I understand it, a single microbevel does two things: It strengthens the edge with no noticeable degradation in performance and it gets rid of the wire edge. I am amazed at how well this technique accomplishes both these tasks. Thanks Jon!
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Yeh after learning this a while back fr. Jon's playlist,been using it on assem. J Gyuto's,used to put micro on both sides at lower angle,creates a convex edge that works well after burr removal.The single micro on cutting side at a higher angle works as well,after time turning your blade toward a more single bevel bias,just removing burr fr. backside.

To me, too, this has been a revelation. I'd messed up a lot with double microbevels before. For performance I think it is essential to really cut the microbevel, and not somewhat round the edge by stropping.

Yes incorrect stropping is one of those things that can undo your edge.Good to remember not to push the blade too hard into the leather,also not rolling the blade off at the end of strop stroke.Stropping is not ness. for a good functional edge,but I admit like to finish a blade on leather,clean up the edge & puts on a nice polish.