Help replacing an chefs knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capital

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im a chef with a pretty eclectic range of knives ranging from a vintage american and euro (all carbon), to stainless German, to a santoku knife.

Im looking to get a new chefs knife as my main knife. I want it as a workhorse, but also to be able to carve thin slices of roast meats in one fluid movement. Basically something solid that i dont need to be too precious about, but I really want to spend a bit extra on something really beautiful (up to $300).

To give you an idea of what I'm into, I was very close to buying the 240mm gyuto misono ux10 until I read in a few forums that they arent worth the price tag.

So I started looking at this one
240mm Gyuto Haruyuki SRS15
http://www.knifewear.com/img/knives4sale/knives/15gyuto240-big.jpg

It seems I'm after a japanese knife (carbon would be a plus) with a western profile.
Maybe I'm on the wrong track? Is there a 100% Japanese knife that I might want to consider? or a 100% euro knife for that matter?

Any recommendations/ thoughts on these two knives I have considered?

I'm not sure if it's a great idea to slice roasts with a gyuto. Because of its width it will cause dragging. Better have a basic 270 sujihiki for that purpose, e.g. a Fujiwara FKH or FKM - some $80.
By the way, the Misonos have undergone a recent price drop. Swedish carbon 240 gyuto is now at $160.

I like the looks of the Haruyuki. SRS15 is a great steel too. Don't forget about sharpening, as you'll want to maintain and even possibly improve the performance of the knife over time. I'd get at least a combo stone and watch some of Jon Broida's videos on YouTube.

I like the looks of the Haruyuki. SRS15 is a great steel too. Don't forget about sharpening, as you'll want to maintain and even possibly improve the performance of the knife over time. I'd get at least a combo stone and watch some of Jon Broida's videos on YouTube.

Just read that it is a rebranded Akifusa...I owned one myself. That's a great knife!

Better to invest in a new gyuto and use whatever you've been using for slicing IMO

THanks for the comments.

Now Benuser has got me thinking about just using my German stainless as my main knife (which has served me well for 12 years) and instead investing in a 270mm sujihiki

I like the look of:

270mm Sujihiki Moritaka Ishime
http://www.knifewear.com/img/knives4sale/knives/31sujihiki270-big.jpg

and

270mm Sujihiki Masakage Koishi AS by Kato san
http://www.knifewear.com/img/knives4sale/knives/35sujihiki270-big.jpg

thoughts?

Neither of these knives would be at the top of my list. The Moritakas can be hit or miss and I think the Masakage is overpriced for what it is. I'd look at a carbonext if you want to go cheaper and call Jon @ JKI if you want to spend some money.

Neither of these knives would be at the top of my list. The Moritakas can be hit or miss and I think the Masakage is overpriced for what it is. I'd look at a carbonext if you want to go cheaper and call Jon @ JKI if you want to spend some money.

Ok thanks for the heads up. Ill email Jon, as I live on the other side of the world.
Will see what he recommends in terms of Sujihiki.

Then weigh that up against the Gyuto option ...any other suggestions to trump the Haruyuki SRS15?

if you really want a gyuto that can make good pull cuts, you might want to check out the masamoto ks. but i prefer benusers suggestion of a fujiwara suji for $80, then you could spend the remaining budget on a good chefs knife.

Itinomonn from Japanesenaturalstones.com. Everything I buy from Maxim has been better than expected.

if you really want a gyuto that can make good pull cuts, you might want to check out the masamoto ks. but i prefer benusers suggestion of a fujiwara suji for $80, then you could spend the remaining budget on a good chefs knife.

Thing is these knives are a business expense so I'm happy buying a decent suki now, and then a decent gyuto next month or vice versa.
Unless a cheap fujiwara suji competes with others around the 300 mark

thanks for the help everyone. Willl be back to ask about a solid gyuto!

Back