A Stupid Questions Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravy Power

Reaction score
For some reason I thought we had a thread about this at some point, but I couldn't find it.

Anyways, whether your'e a newbie or you've been around for a short time like myself, I'm sure some of you have some questions similiar to mine. Feel free to throw then in here.

Here are two of mine:

What does CONUS mean?

I love the fit, finish and reviews of Devin Thomas Knives, however, I have no idea what ITK means.

Here are two of mine:

What does CONUS mean?

I love the fit, finish and reviews of Devin Thomas Knives, however, I have no idea what ITK means.

* continental United States
* In The Kitchen

For some reason I thought we had a thread about this at some point, but I couldn't find it.

Anyways, whether your'e a newbie or you've been around for a short time like myself, I'm sure some of you have some questions similiar to mine. Feel free to throw then in here.

Here are two of mine:

What does CONUS mean?

CONUS: The CONtiguous United States are the 48 adjoining U.S. states on the continent of North America that are south of Canada and north of Mexico, plus the District of Columbia. The term excludes the states of Alaska and Hawaii, and all off-shore U.S. territories and possessions, such as Puerto Rico

ITK: In The Kitchen. When used in this forum, the term refers to mid-tech knives that were made by Devin Thomas and sold by Mark Richmond starting in 2010. Mark later used this term as a brand name for other knives. The term was derived from the name of the Knife Forums sub-forum which most of us belonged to at the time - "Knives, Cooking, and Life in the Restaurant/Home Kitchen".

How about the whole "Sun" thing used with Murray Carter's knives?

How about the whole "Sun" thing used with Murray Carter's knives?

Tools such as Japanese chisels, spatels, saws, hammers are manufactured in sizes of sun and bu

sun = 1.193 inches

bu = 0.1193 inches

It is a Japanese Unit of Measurement
1 sun = 1.19375 inch or 3.037cm

Easy! Just look at his website: http://www.cartercutlery.com/images/Terms/sun_lg.jpg

'A Japanese measurement of length. 1 sun = 1.19375 inch or 3.037cm'

This explains all the normal length measurements, which basically follow sun and usually come out to different lengths at 3cm gradients. 120mm, 150mm, 180, 210, 240... etc. Actually very convenient and I think nice and traditional on the part of MC.

... Whoops. We must be enthusiastic. Looks like 3 responses at the same time.

Why is ho wood the default handle material in Japan?

Back