Quantcast
F&F issues on Fujiwara Teruyasu Nashiji
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F&F issues on Fujiwara Teruyasu Nashiji

F&F issues on Fujiwara Teruyasu Nashiji

I just got a 240 Gyuto in the Nashiji line direct from the Fujiwara Teruyasu website. It arrived today, and while I was expecting the handle/ scale issues I'd read about. The spine of the knife is horrendous. It appears the knife is ground from a stainless/w1/stainless sandwich and the w1 core is exposed In a really uneven way, I took a pic, it's not the best quality, but I think it illustrates the issue pretty well.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    I'm worried it may lead to delamination.

Also the factory bevel on the right side of the knife is very uneven. Does this suggest the grind is also uneven?[IMG][/IMG]

I knew I was ordering a rustic knife, but is it unreasonable to expect an even grind? and what are your opinions on the spine?

Has anyone ever returned a knife to a Japanese manufacturer?

Thanks for your time, I appreciate any insight/ advice

Cheers
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Delamination, no. Corrosion and gunk, yes. I've never heard of a spine like that. You might want to grind it down a bit. As for the grind, I don't see a problem in your pic but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a bit more unevenness than on knives from other makers. Does it cut well?

I would take some sand paper and smooth out the spine if it is uncomfortable or bothersome.

If it were me I would contact the maker and ask for a replacement.

I have ordered a few of the Fujisawa terayasu mashing knives and I am surprised about the condition of your knife. His handles aren't the best, but his blades (in my experience thus far) are as close to perfect as you can get. He is usually pretty nice about things.

I had the tip break off a knife I ordered from him less than a month after getting it. I was just slicing a shallot when it broke. He told me to send it back to examine it and discovered it was his fault because there was a flaw in the steel on that knife. He made me a new one and sent it out and I haven't had any issues since.

Fujiwara Twrayasu is my favorite knife maker and h is a genuinely nice guy that takes a lot of pride in his work. I am confident that if you message him about it, he will make things right.

Yikes. That spine looks awful. I would definitely look into getting a replacement.
    -Matt

Mashing = Nahiji. My iPhone is a pita sometimes.

The spine finish looks like the direct result from being sheared off with a press. It's ugly, but isn't related to any delamination problems. The bevel looks thick, and of a somewhat uneven thickness. I would slap the blade road on the stones and thin it out. Nothing worth returning the knife over IMO.

A bit of sandpaper and a shoeshine motion will give a rounded spine and choil that'll be more comfortable. If after doing that you can see weld flaws I'd contact the seller but not before.

From the pic the uneven bevel you mention is where it's slightly wider at the heel? If the angle is even it just suggests a slightly thicker heel than mid section and tip. Having a slightly thicker heel on a gyuto is no bad thing IMO, and it'll only be a very small variance.

If its a wobble in the angle first session on the stones would sort it.

Neither are things I would class as defects

Thanks for the replies so far. I have emailed Fujiwara a photo of the spine, I will wait for his response, but I think
    I will end up rounding the spine & choil myself

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Does it cut well?
    Honestly, when I posted this thread I hadn't cut with it yet. I have since cut a couple of kilos of Large Carrots, sweet potato, large onions and zucchini. It cuts really well, actually reminds me of the Carter I had. No wedging, good food release, and no reactivity from the core steel. I am looking forward to seeing how the edge holds up.

Cheers
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono