Quantcast
the humble CASE knife.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the humble CASE knife.

the humble CASE knife.

a while back, i flew to visit my parents. my stepdad was terminal..and spending time with them was a priority. flying, i had to leave all my EDC choices at home. i was carrying on my luggage. no benchmades, no Sogs..nothing.

i feel naked without a knife. like what would i do if i found an avocado that needed opening? the horrors. my stepdad pulled out this cardboard box and said..pick one. the box was full of random stuff. mostly dime store junk. rusted out no-name blades. but what caught my eye was a Case knife. i picked it up. it was heavy and dense for it's size. dull as all get out..butter knife dull. i ran it over a old arkansas stone he had..it just felt "right"..i got a working edge on it and just used it normal. oranges, hang nails,, checking the doneness of a steak fireside, ..boxes..letters. it was pretty nice.

when i tossed it back in the box, he said to keep it. i was going home and could care less if my bag got lost, so i checked in my pack. in it was the CASE. it is slowly growing on me. if i have troubles at work, i find myself rubbing the scales to help me think. countless avocados have been sliced. harvesting fruit from trees..done!! not all knife openings need to happen with a theatrical CLICK!

my stepdad has passed and i am so glad i have this small reminder of him. i recently sent it to CASE for a cleaning and a sharpening. i just cant get it that sharp. i got it back today. they cleaned it up like new!!! it is sharper than i could ever do..(not shaving sharp )..it is fantastic. i'm a fan of case knives. i might even order another one. my wife loves this one, and always sneaks it off into her purse. Case has wonderful customer service.

here it is. anyone else?

I too have loved and had many Case knives over the years. As a 10 year old boy working on the farm.. A CASE Folder was my first Christmas gift from the farmer and his wife. ( great people whop I learned more from then I may ever really know) God Bless them. And like your step dad. Both are passed. and yet still close to my heart. Its because of this that I think I really learned the value of a good knife/cutting tool. and fueled my passion and obsession for sharp and pointy And every year I would get a case folder this happened for many years until I grew older and moved away as a young man.

Your knife sounds and now looks awesome. and CASE is overall a great company.

Thanks for sharing the story and the picture.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Great story.

I too love my case (1960's.) Litterely never leaves my pocket. My grandfather gave it to me when I was a kid, and if full of memories. The middle blade, even though had a broken tip, gets the sharpest of any knife I own or have sharpened.

How did you go about sending it to case? I would love to have this one cleaned up. Was it expensive, and what was the turn around like?

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

It was free. Took them two weeks. Yours looks like carbon steel?

I have my dad's old one as my edc. looks just like yours. I dropped it a couple of weeks ago and cracked the bone scales and was thinking about sending it in for a refurb. what's the process if I may ask?
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Yeah it's carbon. Has that perma-ODC-patina from years of use.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

S-

i emailed them. they quickly emailed back telling me that cleaning and sharpening was free. they sent me a link (that i deleted)..i think i read there is a nominal charge for actual repairs. very painless.

now that i know, i wont hesitate to buy a used on at any antique store. i've seen them occasionally..i want a high carbon one like j's.

My grandfather has carried a Case stockman his entire life. About 30 years ago he saw all the stainless steel blades Case was releasing and grew worried that they would completely replace the carbon blades so he bought a few carbon stockmans to keep as gifts for all his grandsons he would have (none of us were born yet). I was the oldest grandson and on my 13th birthday he gave me two knives: a new stainless stockman that I could carry without worry and a brand new carbon stockman that he had kept oiled and wrapped in newspaper since before I had even been born. He repeated this tradition with his next three grandsons. Like an idiot, I misplaced that stainless Case he gave me, but I still have the carbon knife he gave me and its still unused. I'm still torn between leaving it unused to and carrying it every now and then and giving it some use.

kyle..can you please post up a pic?

i am gonna buy a carbon one and send it in..i have a love for all things carbon.

my first knife cut. remember it like yesterday. yellow scales, on a high carbon Case knife. i shot a BB into my granddad's old shovel handle. opps. he had just given me a that case carbon knife. i opened it and tried to pry out the BB, and ditch the evidence. i didnt snap off the tip, but i did manage to close the blade on my thumb. i think i was nine. i screamed. mom took the knife from me, gave it back to her dad..and confiscated my daisy BB gun. it was NOT a good day. never saw that knife ever again.

let the search begin! i think i am old enough now to not close a knife on my thumb. i think.

I'll try to pull it out of the box its stored in in the next couple days to snap a pic. It still looks new.

+ Reply to Thread