Quantcast
flexible fillet knife... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: flexible fillet knife...

I would just use your deba. At the seafood restaurant I work at the four or so people who do the butcher work all use different styles of knife from my deba to a 10" Henkel, all getting similar results. It's about technique and what you feel is comfortable. Mocking in a gentle, if ruthless way is a kitchen tradition, but if you can keep up speed and quality with your deba they will quickly shut up. Or not and it will become a running joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dardeau View Post
    I would just use your deba. At the seafood restaurant I work at the four or so people who do the butcher work all use different styles of knife from my deba to a 10" Henkel, all getting similar results. It's about technique and what you feel is comfortable. Mocking in a gentle, if ruthless way is a kitchen tradition, but if you can keep up speed and quality with your deba they will quickly shut up. Or not and it will become a running joke.
    Exactly. Kitchens are results orientated, as long as the end result is the same and your speed is up no one will really care.
    That said, it is always good to get as much experience with as many tools as you can, just to increase your skill set.

Perhaps try getting a western boning knife that isn't as flexible to start with.

I prefer to use a flexible boning knife for small flat fish ,Deba or sometimes a western boning knife for Reef fish.Most of the guys i know who work in fish processing use cheap western boning knives.Fish is expensive so using whatever knife gives you the best yield and cleanest fillets is the one to stay with.

i hate western boning knives i usally use my petty which is 165mm or my 150mm honosuki meat prep. sometimes i use either of those for small fish

So, just to break this down a little, flexible fillet knives are a mainstay of European fish cuisine which is, of course, built around flat fish, and especially around Dover sole. If you look at Escoffier, the number of sole recipes is huge, turbot is large and today's mainstays like bass and rouget, while in existence, are small. As the batterie de cuisine developed, it developed 95% around flat fish. Flexible fillet knives are great for flat fish.

There really isn't an anatomical reason to use a flexible knife on a round fish. It doesn't make a ton of sense because the instability caused by the flex hinders, rather than helps, remove fillets from round fish. So, you are in Australia? You see flexy knives because you are of European culture. At least they aren't bad on Dory, but they are a pain in the ass on a lot of the other fish you have running around down there.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    Perhaps try getting a western boning knife that isn't as flexible to start with.
    One of the things I hate about a lot of commercially fileted fish, and I've been in the processing plants and watched them do it, is the fact they take a stiff bladed boning knife and cut straight through the rib bones. Then they usually leave them on rather than waste something they can sell by the pound. Very fast and cheap way to filet when you have tons of fish to process but to me a filet should be bone free. I use a flex blade and work over the ribs even on very small fish.

I've posted this before. This is the technique I use now when fileting round fish. I use a Blue #2 210 Ichimonji Deba though. This guy is badass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExmNwEcr-fs

He did a good job of removing those rib bones. Lot of filets you buy at the average food store haven't had those last couple of steps.

he looks kinda rough but thats the same way my head chef works fish