Quantcast
Mark Richmond, popcorn and konosuke HDs
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Richmond, popcorn and konosuke HDs

Mark Richmond, popcorn and konosuke HDs

I wanted the freedom to discuss popcorn, konosuke HD gyutos and mark Richmond all at the same time. I put all 3 subjects in the title, that away we won't be going off topic, out of respect to some forum members. So I guess I'll get the ball rolling, yesterday I was sharpening up several of my gyutos one of which is my kono HD. That knife still to this day has to be my favorite non carbon knife to sharpen. But in the last year or so I've begun to feel like the kono has a bit too much curve towards the tip. But it's, not just konosuke, I feel this way about all the Sakai lasers I've tried. It's pretty exciting to see flatter versions of these gyutos being made by a couple of different makers(konosuke and Sakai Yusuke). I wanted popcorn while I was sharpening but I'm not sure I have the right pot to cook it, does anybody have recommendations or pics of their popcorn pot? I speaking of sharping, does anybody else get a kick out of watching marks old sharpening videos?

I locked the original thread at the OP's request, but this really *would* be the proper way to carry on a conversation about all 3 things at the same time
    Len

I use a 100 year old cast iron Dutch oven. Perfect every time.

Engorged Member
    I like kettle corn.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

for an extra challenge, try popping Quinoa. Delicious and dainty

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    I wanted the freedom to discuss popcorn, konosuke HD gyutos and mark Richmond all at the same time. I put all 3 subjects in the title, that away we won't be going off topic, out of respect to some forum members. So I guess I'll get the ball rolling, yesterday I was sharpening up several of my gyutos one of which is my kono HD. That knife still to this day has to be my favorite non carbon knife to sharpen. But in the last year or so I've begun to feel like the kono has a bit too much curve towards the tip. But it's, not just konosuke, I feel this way about all the Sakai lasers I've tried. It's pretty exciting to see flatter versions of these gyutos being made by a couple of different makers(konosuke and Sakai Yusuke). I wanted popcorn while I was sharpening but I'm not sure I have the right pot to cook it, does anybody have recommendations or pics of their popcorn pot? I speaking of sharping, does anybody else get a kick out of watching marks old sharpening videos?

Quote Originally Posted by G-rat View Post
    I use a 100 year old cast iron Dutch oven. Perfect every time.
    Well I have several of these, so lid or no lid?

I always thought California pot was the only right stuff for popcorn...

Oh and since this thread is more than just popcorn--I can't comment on Konosuke, but I'll give a big shout out to Chef's Knives that Blow--hey Mark, [content removed]
    Last edited by echerub; 05-14-2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Inappropriate
    one man gathers what another man spills...

I use a 80 year old cast iron as well, medium heat , canola , and some whole cloves of garlic. Just move constantly while on the heat, garlic roast a little and steams. Delicious, for and extra kick i use a little sambal butter, I use chopsticks to eat it to keep my fingers fresh, hahaha.

Has anyone tried any of Penzeys cheese seasonings on popcorn yet? Next trip, I may be picking some up. I used to have some fantastic sour cream n onion stuff too, but alas have not seen it in years.