Another cutting board attempt

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Eventually I might get good at this.
Here is one I am working on now.
If you guess the wood type you will probably guess wrong.

Sanded and ready to oil.

mb001_zpsccb32913.jpg

Starting to oil the board.

mb003_zps7884a946.jpg

Nope & Nope.
This is some old (dead woodworker) wood that changed hands a few times before I bought it.
It was some old quarter sawn planks of wood that had painted on the edges of the planks "Guatemala & Mahogany".
I had bought the wood with the intention that it would go to guitar builders.
But....the knife handle materials have been keeping me pretty busy so I have lost touch with a lot of the guitar builders over the last few years.

Can't tell from the photos yet but the wood has some curly figure and a nice metallic luster.

first thing I thought was Mahogany because, of the grain. color isn't quite right though.

It is mahogany. Just lighter colored stuff. From one angle it looks light gold, from a different angle more orange/gold.

mb004_zpsf96a3044.jpg

mb011_zps4f01db7d.jpg

mb007_zps18bf1027.jpg

mb006_zpsfb1a33ea.jpg

Size on this one is just over 20" x 11" x 2".
It will be selling for $200 plus shipping.

One of the other forum members asked about it before I finished it but he hadn't seen photos or anything.
He gets 1st option with this one.
Back ups are welcome if any of you like it.

That is one heck of a pretty cutting board! I love the detail of the beveled corners... seems like a really nice detail. What are you using to oil the board?

-daniel

Looks awesome, Mark! I have what might be a dumb question, but whatever. :) Is a highly figured burl/curled wood like what you deal with about the same hardness as a regular piece of end grain?

That is one heck of a pretty cutting board! I love the detail of the beveled corners... seems like a really nice detail. What are you using to oil the board?
-daniel
I start with several coats of mineral oil followed by butcher block conditioner (mineral oil/bees wax blend).

Lefty,
End grain will be a bit softer because the blade is going between the wood fibers.

Quarter sawn to rift sawn Luan Mahogany. The same stuff plywood is made from.

Thanks David.
I was pleased with how bold the flecks stood out in the portion that was dead on quarter sawn.

Back