Media Japan trip knife pics - the big and the strange

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bishamon

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of various knives I saw while in Japan. The first set come from Tsukiji fish market. You can really tell how much some of the magurokiri and oroshi hocho have been used by the concave grinds, haha. That place was busy, and I wonder if sometimes the workers don't want to use them on the tourists...

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0995magurokiri.jpg

IMG_1004debaboard.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1017fishknives.jpg

At the Aritsugu storefront, really big ~690mm yanagi.
IMG_1041.jpg

You can see the tsukebocho, or fish paste shaping knives, on the top row next to the sushikiri. Oddball knive with no edge.
IMG_1042.jpg

Real tuna knives...the broad ones on the right are for sectioning tuna into big steaks with dorsal to ventral cuts.
IMG_1023masahisabigtunaknives.jpg

Here's some more from Sakai at the Hamono museum.

IMG_2477sakaiknifemuseum.jpg

IMG_2545.jpg

Various stages of knife completion.
IMG_2489.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2541.jpg

Giant magurokiri (nonflexible blade)
IMG_2522.jpg

Big enough deba...
IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

More Sakai.

Various odd knives. That center one is type of kujira hocho (whale knife). The one to the left of it is a knife for cutting mulberry leaves.
IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

Candy knife
IMG_2521.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

kiridashi
IMG_2523.jpg

letter openers
IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

Cimeter
IMG_2540.jpg

I have a bunch more from Sakai, but they haven't uploaded here yet.

I saw your thread and I was wondering if you checked prices when you were in Japan? Is there anything saved by buying knives in Japan with the current USD/JPY exchange rate? I am going to Tokyo and Kyoto in July and I am planning on buying some new knives - but I am unsure if it's really cheaper.

Thanks,
Lars

It depends where you go, but not much cheaper. Sometimes you might find some good deals, though. Some stuff at the Ichimonji storefront in Osaka looked cheaper (especially a weird old tuna knife I got), and some stuff at Aritsugu (Tsukiji) was a little less than we pay. The prices we get here are basically converted from yen though. Depending how you get them back, you may not have to pay shipping is the only thing.

In Kyoto there aren't quite as many knife shops as Tokyo and Osaka from what I saw. Still, there are a couple to look at in Kyoto, mostly near Sanjo dori/Teramachi dori area. Kikuichimonji is on Sanjo dori, just east of Teramachi dori, and Kyoto Hamono Aritsugu is in the Nishiki Ichiba covered market street (runs perpendicular to Teramachi dori between shijo and sanjo dori).

I like pic #3...the guy having intercourse with a fish head.

I remember those long-ass knives at Aritsugo. I absolutely loved Tsukiji. Next time I'll make it to Sakai City.

Keep them pictures coming!

Amazing photos.
Could wathc them endlessly. I dont think would go myself so thanks a lot for bringing it out

thanks for the pics
neat to see all the variety

Back