Quantcast
"I need a car" - Sale
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "I need a car" - Sale

"I need a car" - Sale

O.k., after not getting a paycheck for quite a while now and my car dying on me, I need to overcome my separation anxiety and offer some knives for sale unless I find someone who will give a short term $3,000 car loan to an unemployed academic bum....

1. 270 Kanetsune VG10 yanagiba with damascus layers. These are stainless which was what attracted me because of the humid climate I live in. But I have hardly ever used it, never even sharpened up the factory edge. But I took of the flimsy rosewood handle and put a slim M3 handle on it. This is something like reconstituted metal, aluminum and copper in this case. Clearly heavier than ho wood but I kept is as slim as possible to not overly mess up the balance. Oh, black horn tip and end cap. How about $220 shipped in the US?

2. Korin honesuki, right handed. Looks like a Nenox, feels like a Nenox, works like a Nenox. IIRC, at the time we were pretty sure that it was also the same steel that was used for the Nenox S1 series, but it runs under the Korin label. There were some issues with shrinking and cracking snakewood handles at the time. This one here has no cracks that I can see but it did shrink a bit and the tang was lightly ground down to match the scales. I will sand the tang a little bit over some slightly rougher spots before I ship it out, so that tang and wood are flush. Knife is hardly ever used, never sharpened, some micro chips toward the heel but nothing that would not disappear with the next sharpening. $250 shipped (the comparable Nenox is $413-$619)

3. I hate to sell Carter knives, and this is a perfect everyday user knife, but I have a slightly larger high grade one, so this will be offered. Unfortunately, I don't have my caliper or tape measure here, but I think it was just under 6sun (will measure and let you know soon). So, let's say Carter SFGZ 5.8 sun funayuki, white steel core. This used to be one of these riveted handle thingies, but Butch Harner was nice enough to put what we now call a Western hidden tang handle on it (when he still had time for such things...). The wood is cottonwood burl, very comfy to hold. Has a servicable edge on it but also a shows a little bit of use in terms of patina, could use a good rub-down with Flitz but I will leave that to the buyer. Never know what to ask for these custom thingies, so how about $250 shipped?

More to come. I also have a brand new Korin shiro-ko kasumi deba, a Watanabe 240 takohiki a strange fish knife (see below) and MAYBE, if things get really desperate, my Carter IP gyuto but I want to hold off on that for just a little longer.

Stefan

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030655.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	15287

Name:	P1030661.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	15288

Name:	P1030663.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	15289

4. "Strange fish knife" (does anybody know what they are called?): It's the top one in this picture. The gyuto next to is it 225mm, just for size. I snapped this up from Takeshi locally but had no real idea what it was. Turns out, it is used to take larger fish apart and the angled tip and the sharp back of the tip make is easier to go back and forth while cutting. It's a hefty knife, not a thin laserish thingie. I had Dave stick on a spalted maple D-shaped handle for me, large enough to fit the knife and allow heavy use. However: The knife needs to reprofiled, right now only the main edge is sharpened. It also has picked up a little rust just from sitting in the block in Hawaii. So, this one is going out to Dave in the next days for a sharpening and cleaning job, so the buyer should get it in excellent shape. To be honest, I have no clue what the steel is. You should also know (and can see in the pic) that the tang is not quite centered in the handle. Dave did that so that the handle and the tip of the knife are in one line but it does look a little different to what you usually see. O.k., another one where I am not sure what to ask for. How about $260 incl. Dave's work - and a little patience to wait until Dave is done with it. The handle is really nice (if you like D-shaped ones) and I would probably have gotten $140 for one like that alone...

As for the other ones, I will add pics later.

- The Korin Shiro-ko kasumi deba 180, ho wood with white horn ferrule, is brand new, never used. $200 shipped is just a little bit under retail but it is new and Dave sharpened it up for me, so it has a better than new edge on it.

- Watanabe 240 takohiki, pretty sure it is blue steel but would not swear my life on it. Love the knife but never use it. This has a very early one of my handles on it, very slim with snakewood, koa, metal spacers and ivory spacer. The handle may be too temperamental for an extremely dry area, please keep that in mind. Hoping for $230 shipped, for less I'd rather keep it...

Thanks!

Stefan

Name:	P1030664.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	15290

lovely knives stefan

PM sent on Carter.

PM sent on Takohiki

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    at that price(on the Carter) and that handle that is a steal. Was thinking of snagging it myself.

Gl with the sale Stefan.
    Chewie's the man.

True, I should have asked a bit more for the Carter, I am just too nice for this capitalist world Anyway, Carter funayuki is SPF, Watanabe takohiki is on hold for Anton until I have some pics tomorrow.

Stefan

Katsuo-bocho??? Like for filleting tuna for bonito, I think....

Is that a second carter for sale.
    Thanks

2nd in line for takohiki if possible thank you!

+ Reply to Thread