Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Fujiwara Teruyasu Nashiji Gyuto 240mm pass around.

it actually looks like the wide bevel is untouched... when you are thinning a knife like this, you would be sharpening the whole area under the nashiji finish part. From the pictures, it looks like only the edge has been sharpened (though now that your're getting up into the thicker section of the edge, the bevel size has increased).

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    it actually looks like the wide bevel is untouched... when you are thinning a knife like this, you would be sharpening the whole area under the nashiji finish part. From the pictures, it looks like only the edge has been sharpened (though now that your're getting up into the thicker section of the edge, the bevel size has increased).
    Just like every other pass-around, halfway through.

this pass around has only gone to 3 people. brad, myself and don. if memory serves, the knife itself didnt have much noticeable wear which makes me wonder if it was a lemon ootb. the pass around shouldnt have anything to do with it being thick behind the edge. i gave it a quick gesshin 2k touch up then light stropping. im not sure what brad did though.

A lot of people treat the pass-around knives like their own personal sharpening master class (I've seen it, and my fist SS Heiji 240 was a KKF pass-around which went from a brilliant Jon re-furbished knife to a complete pig in just a few months), which makes me jaded.

i dont know... i've seen quite a few passarounds suffer from the same thing. I've also seen a lot of fujiwara teruyasu's knives... i've never seen one with an ootb edge like the above pics. It looks to have been significantly sharpened by whoever has been using it. And from the pictures, its clear that no one has taken the time to properly sharpen this since first use. This wide bevel sharpening is something that needs to be done regularly to keep the knife in good working shape.

I do know the edge was in better condition when it left me than it was when it was shipped to me. also, if you refer to the first photo in this thread before the pass around began you will see that the bevel is taller at the heel. when i recieved this knife i also had 3 other new gyutos i was testing all of which were much superior to this one. so i lost interest quickly, barely used it. ive never used an ootb box fujiwara edge so i really can only specualate. again, i have no idea if brad did any work to this knife before i recieved it. he probably didnt. i really dont think its fair here for anyone to imply that any person involved in the pass around did harm to this knife in anyway until more information is known.

I never sharpened the knife or really used it all that much. I cut maybe a half of a case of onions and a tuna loin and a couple sides of tuna. Nothing with bones and no serious butchery. Whatever edge it had on it when it got to you was like 95% the same as when I got it. It seemed to cut fine to me but I am no expert. I have only ever even used a handful of gyutos and I am fairly new to Japanese knives.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    The knife left me with the factory edge, which I was reasonably impressed with.
    if thats the case, i seriously doubt the knife became thick from light use by me and brad ha ha.

I rearranged the list with locations in a more reasonable path. Dardeau opted out so he's not on the list (as far as I know).

TK59 - Cali
    Mhlee - Cali
    Ayeung74 - Tx
    Zweifel - Ar
    Mkmk - Illinois
    Edipisreks - Ohio
    Lefty - Canada
    ShaneG - New Zealand
    Dusty - Australia
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Sounds great -- thanks, Don.