Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fujiwara Teruyasu Nashiji Gyuto 240mm pass around.

Maybe everybody left should post their location, before it gets sent to the next person, and then we can rearrange the order from there.

Zwiefel
    Dardeau
    Edipisreks - Cincinnati Ohio
    TK59
    Mhlee
    Mkmk
    Ayeung74
    Lefty
    ShaneG
    Dusty

Zwiefel
    Dardeau
    TK59
    Mhlee
    Mkmk
    Ayeung74
    Lefty - London, Ontario (Canada)
    ShaneG
    Dusty
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Zwiefel
    Dardeau
    TK59
    Mhlee
    Mkmk - northern Indiana
    Ayeung74
    Lefty - London, Ontario (Canada)
    ShaneG
    Dusty

Here are some quick thoughts on the knife.

I'm not sure what the price point is, but I think it would be a pretty OK workhorse knife for a relatively low price. It's got decent heft to it and the handle is light. The fit and finish is not that impressive so you wouldn't have to worry about getting it scratched/dinged up.

There are a lot of things that could improve though. The profile feels a little bit weird to me because I'm so used to profiles that taper and narrow down much more, but that may be preference. The blade isn't completely straight down the middle, but maybe that's an easy fix with the laminated construction. My biggest qualm is the handle. It's just not finished on the edges and that really distracts me when using it. You can see in the pictures what I mean. That sharp choil with the wood sticking out just isn't comfortable.

The grind is pretty obtuse. I thought it would be pretty good for sticking but I noticed more sticking on this blade than some of the others I've used. With the obtuse grind, it also wedges a little bit too.

Onto the pictures:

A short potato video:

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

for what its worth, from the above pictures, its clear that this knife is in need of significant thinning... the out of the box edge is not like that at all

yeah, looks as bad as every other pass-around, halfway through.

The knife left me with the factory edge, which I was reasonably impressed with.
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

I am definitely out on this one, way too much going on. Thanks for the opportunity!

I touched up the edge a little, but nothing significant. It came with a pretty big bevel, very asymmetrical near the heel.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

like i stated earlier, that knife arrived to me with chips and with poor F&F. i dont have any low grit stones at the moment so i couldnt restore the edge really...it probably just needs a couple minutes on a low grit stone to take out the chips by the heel.