Quantcast
Fujiwara Teruyasu Nashiji Gyuto 240mm pass around. - Page 9
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Fujiwara Teruyasu Nashiji Gyuto 240mm pass around.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Gibson View Post
    I never sharpened the knife or really used it all that much. I cut maybe a half of a case of onions and a tuna loin and a couple sides of tuna. Nothing with bones and no serious butchery. Whatever edge it had on it when it got to you was like 95% the same as when I got it. It seemed to cut fine to me but I am no expert. I have only ever even used a handful of gyutos and I am fairly new to Japanese knives.
    Then why the pictures with celery, swordfish, steaks and salmon?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Then why the pictures with celery, swordfish, steaks and salmon?
    Like I said I didn't cut anything with bones... Mostly just sliced stuff up. All the fish I used it for we're only sides that we got in at my restaurant and the steaks were just rib loins and strip loins (boneless). I was trying to state that I hadn't brought it in contact with anything harmful. Like a bone in ribeye or chickens or anything like that.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

I received this knife last week. I've since used it some and lightly sharpened it. I have not done any thinning but after looking it over closely, the heel is much thicker near the edge than the rest of the blade which is not bad. Should I thin this guy? Huw? Also, Mike is bowing out of this one after checking it out this weekend so I'll send it to ayeung74 as soon as I get his address.

Go for it Tinh, cheers
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

I'm now out, as well. Not because I don't like you, Huw, I promise. I just don't have time to use it enough to justify the shipping, etc.

Thanks for the opportunity, mon ami (that's French for "you sonamabish", which is Little Italy for "pal").
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I guess I"m next! Woohoo!

I've thinned the knife and put a fresh edge on it. I didn't put much time into getting all the coarse scratches out so don't hold it against me or my stones, lol. It's going out in a few minutes here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I'm now out, as well. Not because I don't like you, Huw, I promise. I just don't have time to use it enough to justify the shipping, etc.

Thanks for the opportunity, mon ami (that's French for "you sonamabish", which is Little Italy for "pal").
    Just now saw the new logo...nice work Lefty!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

It's a fairly thin knife, in general with very nice distal taper. I think this is a very nice knife for someone that is willing to put a little time into it. The edge taking and holding was very good and similar to the more expensive Fujiwaras I've used. Grinding the steel was quick and easy work and the edge came out virtually clean under magnification without actually trying to deburr. I did not enjoy the handle and the spine was pretty uncomfortable over time. Fit and finish was on the crude side, maybe a bit moreso than his other lines. Cutting performance was good and better once the edge was fixed and some thinning was done. If you're gonna buy one of these, I'd say, round the spine and any other uncomfortable corners, and you're set. If you think it cuts like a fatty, a little thinning will go a long way.

I forgot to add that I straightened the knife a bit. Thinning wasn't going to well otherwise.