removing the printed kanji with micro mesh pads?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't even need micromesh. The knife finish looks pretty coarse so just match that with sandpaper and rub in parallel with the finish.

wich micromesh pads grit would be satisfying afterwards? and how many will i need?

You probably won't need to go over 600 grit regular sandpaper. Maybe start with some 320. Micromesh will give you a mirrored finish, which will take much more prep time and elbow grease.

you can get mirror with 320-600 and 1200 grit sandpaper but its a bit hazy

I'm with Squilliam ... rather than trying to create a new finish, which won't match the rest of the knife, trying to match the finish of the knife with sand paper would probably be easiest. I'd start around 320 grit (which will remove the marking pretty quickly) and then move up until you've got a match with the finish of the rest of the knife (likely around 400-600). As Squilliam mentioned, it is important to match the direction of the existing satin finish. If you start out creating swirls, they will be very hard to get rid of. If you're worried about the sandpaper, you might try a buff stick. These look a lot like the buff sticks that are used for nails, but are designed for metals. It gives you three grits of increasing smoothness, which allows you to fix small imperfections or do projects like this. I find they can be a little easier to manage the direction of the satin finish.

-daniel

I would ignore the existing pattern and work horizontally only, and stay away from the very edge to avoid any overgrind and other edge damage.

Latest posts

Back