Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Konosuke Funayuki Gyuto 270mm review

To be honest I think the profiles of 270s doesn't matter much because with so much knife a 270 can do everything but it looks interesting. It still doesn't look super tall to me, it looks like a long 240 rather than a true 270 to me. Any ideas so far as to how to compares to the Carbonext? Thanks a bunch for doing the review

Personally - if you have the room (like I do) there is no reason NOT to go 270. The are longer and leaner feeling than the 240s I sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9 View Post
    Personally - if you have the room (like I do) there is no reason NOT to go 270. The are longer and leaner feeling than the 240s I sold.
    Yeah I totally agree. With 240s, there's not a lot of steel to play with so the profile is very very important and limits the things you can do, whereas a 270 is all things to all men, it can do everything

Another benefit of 270mm gyutos is they're almost always at least 53mm tall give or take. I'm been phasing out almost all my short gyutos as I tend to favor taller ones. While its not necessary, I tend to favor a lower tip on gyutos, whether or not they're pointy doesn't make much difference to me. But yes, more things seem possible at the 270mm size.

yep, i like tall gyutos. 270mm ones are really calling to me. next one i'm getting is gonna be 270mm for sure.

I'm glad you got this knife! I've been eye humping this guy for a while! Hopefully I'll catch one on BST sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by marc4pt0 View Post
    I'm glad you got this knife! I've been eye humping this guy for a while! Hopefully I'll catch one on BST sometime!
    I'm getting a mental image of "eye humping" a knife, and it's not pretty. :bigeek:
    I meant to measure the height at the heel this morning, but got too busy. Will try to do tonight. But I will say that I think a lot of knife photos fail to give an accurate sense of size, as all you can really tell is the proportional size of the blade and handle. So here's a photo of the knife next to a quarter (yes, a quarter). Don't know why it's so blurry, but at least it will aid in getting a sense of the size.

will onions cut with the hd steel oxidate?

No it's not reactive at all. For all intents and purposes this is stainless.

Oh yeah, that HD2 steel is supposed to be closer to stainless and have increased edge retention,"supposedly". You sharpened it up yet?