Quantcast
Rehandle Jobs Gallery - PIC HEAVY - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rehandle Jobs Gallery - PIC HEAVY

Beautiful work! What is normal, for the wood to be supplied to you, or left to your discretion? Seemed like there was a similar theme there, which I liked

Testimonial

As the proud owner of several of the Hattori KD's and Shig's in this post I can tell you that Daniel has exceeded expectations with every knife I've sent him (or purchased from EE--staff is great too!). The wood/horn handles, beautiful in their own right, add an extra measure of pleasure when working. And they've held up very well, as the wood was held and stabilized where appropriate. Wish I lived in Seattle!

Quote Originally Posted by mc2442 View Post
    Beautiful work! What is normal, for the wood to be supplied to you, or left to your discretion? Seemed like there was a similar theme there, which I liked
    I prefer to work with woods that I supply, because I know a bit more about their history. I find that woods continue to move a shrink a lot longer than folks expect them to ... and that stabilization somewhat restarts this process. Generally, I'll sit on woods 5 years from when purchased or stabilized before I use them.

Usually I'll talk with folks about what woods I've got available and we'll go over what's exciting to the customer. I sit on a lot of wood and there are usually some pretty exciting pieces that are ready to use.

This said, occasionally someone has a wood that they really want to use, and I'm good with that too, so long as they've aged it for a pretty long time. I'm working on a handle right now using wood supplied by a customer. We decided not to use several pieces of wood since they hadn't aged long enough or weren't stabilized, when I felt they should be. It's going to be a really fun piece, in part because he has some woods that I didn't have in my inventory.

-daniel

Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff View Post
    As the proud owner of several of the Hattori KD's and Shig's in this post I can tell you that Daniel has exceeded expectations with every knife I've sent him (or purchased from EE--staff is great too!). The wood/horn handles, beautiful in their own right, add an extra measure of pleasure when working. And they've held up very well, as the wood was held and stabilized where appropriate. Wish I lived in Seattle!
    You do have some of my favorite pieces! I was amazed at how many of the photos that Drew and I picked were ones that I made for you. You've had knives that really inspired me!

-daniel