Quantcast
Making a saya - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making a saya

Quote Originally Posted by markenki View Post
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing. What is the purpose of the half-circle notch? (I've seen that on some other sayas as well.)
    There are a few things over the years with Japanese knives that I've never been able to get an absolutely straight answer from makers about why it is done that way. Frequently Japanese makers' response to this sort of question is, "because it is the way I was taught." And I'm afraid my answer is similar.

That said, I have some speculation about the origin of the notch... because the back corner of Japanese knives is generally fully sharpened, getting poked by the corner can be less than fun. by having the notch, you're able to see where the blade starts as it is taken out of the saya before the sharpened corner reveals itself. That's the best that I've been able to come up with ... and I do think it makes getting cut while taking a knife out of a saya a bit less likely. Plus it looks good

-daniel

It is used to align with the nib on old western saws.......................
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I know sayas without pins sort of show that they are well made, but a while ago I had a knife with a saya and no pin and I dropped the knife. It never stayed in the saya again, the perfect fit was gone

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    I know sayas without pins sort of show that they are well made, but a while ago I had a knife with a saya and no pin and I dropped the knife. It never stayed in the saya again, the perfect fit was gone
    Did you drop the knife with the saya on it (such that the saya somehow changed shape/came loose at a seam or whatnot) or did you drop the knife, which then needed reshaping and therefore was a loose fit at that point?
    If the later, this is exactly why I don't recommend using a pin initially -- if a saya becomes a little loose, the first recommendation for a better fit is to shape just a little off the flat where the knife is inserted. This will allow the knife to go in further and should bring the knife into a tighter fitting area of the saya. If it already has a pin, the pin hole will no longer be effective (and often it is only necessary to remove 1mm or so, so drilling a new pin hole looks a little odd). If going in further doesn't tighten up the saya, then the pin can be added for a proper fit and the hole can be drilled in the correct place.

For what it is worth, I do a lot of adjusting our 'stock' saya to fit knives well when people don't want the expense of a custom saya. It is amazing how much adjustment can be done by shaving off a little from the area the knife is inserted and by using kiridashi and rasps to widen the hole slightly where the knife is inserted. Naturally, the fit won't generally be as perfect as a custom saya, so I still recommend a pin at that point, but it is amazing how many a good fit can be matched by making those adjustments.

-daniel

Stunning stuff! Tks for th tutorial!

It fell while not in the saya. I understand what you say, that is interesting, thanks

+ Reply to Thread